Header
Header
Header
 


12 May 2009

The first event

One of the things you must accept about India is that when you travel from your hotel to your speaking destination, it will be at a snail's pace, and however impatient you are - and there is no-one more impatient than me - you have to sit back and relax. Chennai though, has the shortest journeys between venues of any of the five cities I'm visiting - it only took 20 minutes to cover the mile to the Landmark bookshop. It's a thrill for any writer addressing a gathering to see standing room only and the audience overflowing into the corridor, particularly when it's in someone else's country. I spoke for 30 minutes about Paths of Glory and my plans for the future, before taking questions for another 40 minutes. Then the signing started. During the next two hours I signed over a thousand books, including many ancient and battered copies of Kane & Abel. I left just after 11 o'clock when the queue had finally gone. I was shattered, but what a privilege to have that sort of response, and I want to thank the Indian people once again for their welcome and friendship.

This morning I overslept, waking just in time for my first interview. The press seem fascinated by the fact that I am now published in Tamil, as well as four other languages - Malayalam, Marathi, and Hindi, and at the Bangalore event on the 18th the book will be released in Kannada. I was reminded once again just how well educated the intelligensia of India are, when a young journalist called Nitya asked what my next book would be. A set of short stories called And Thereby Hangs a Tale, I told her. "From As you Like It," she said. In many of the other interviews we discussed the general election going on in India at the moment, and after my forthright comments about the traffic, it was decided I should be transport minister for the SP Party. "Why the SP Party?" I asked. Because, I was told, they want to ban all computers, and as I handwrite my books, I'm fully qualified, and they don't want English spoken in schools, and as I'm now published in so many Indian languages, I qualify again.

25 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey

...clearly you're having an excellent time. I'll wager by the end of your prommotional activities, your right-hand(?) will be supported in a sling. We shall see...

You haven't yet commented upon the various regional foods; which are exquisite.

11:56 AM  
Blogger rohan said...

Sir,

I am happy that you like our country. So how is your visit going on? Good to know your books are being honored here.

Rohan Agarwal

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Arti said...

Hello & Welcome! I run a library in the greater New Delhi area and was wondering if it would be possible to get a few minutes of your time for a brief interview for our library's blog while you are in New Delhi. Our subscribers would be absolutely thrilled to hear from you!
If there is any chance you can fit me in your busy schedule, please do let me know.
arti@friendsofbooks.com

1:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am torn between what the media tells me of you and what you are like in person,a case of sour grapes perhaps.Presumably they love to hate you, But i on the other absolutely love your work.

3:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sir
what a memorable evening i had yesterday. words are not enough to say.
one day on a fine evening,
with his story telling,
sir jeffrey archer
held us chennaites in rapture.
his latest book `paths of glory'
is a story about george mallory
this story brings us a mystery
whether it was mallory or hillary
who was the first
to reach the top of mt everest.
the missing photo of ruth mallory
if ever found, will rewrite history.
once again sir archer,
has come out with a topper.
i am proud to be one among many
who got his sign on my copy of paths of glory.
prasana laxmi

4:28 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Anonymous...


"Never forget the facts are important but it’s the opinion of the facts that causes comment."

(Source Unknown)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

laxmi...

The "Camera" if found (possibly during the next few months) may also re-write history...

4:58 PM  
Blogger vijai said...

Sir,
I have to thank you for coming to India and you were a pleasent suprise for me yesterday because I did'nt expect you to so charming at landmark yesterday.I have just started reading 'Paths of Glory' and it is such a delight.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Geetha said...

Dear Mr. Archer,

It's amazing really that despite your very hectic schedule you are making the effort and sparing the time to not only read our comments but also, to reply to them individually. Thank you very much!

Hope you have a great time in India although it is a pity that Calcuttans (being an ex-Calcuttan my heart goes out to all the book lovers there) are going to miss you this time around.

I also vividly remember telling in a job interview in 1985, while being quizzed by the Personnel Manager (PM) about my favourite hobby - reading - that my all-time favourite book was (and is!) 'Kane and Abel.' And to my astonishment, the PM then asked me to choose between Kane and Abel for my favourite character! That was very, very difficult but I went with Abel. Life was never easy for him but he triumphed ultimately!

Delighted to read about your "Magnificent Obsession"! Sad that you were never the captain of the England cricket team. The likes of Ray Illingworth, Tony Lewis, Mike Denness, Mike Brearley... would have loved to play with you am sure.

Thanks and regards,

Geetha

3:29 AM  
Blogger Narayan said...

Sir
ever thought of settling in India. Unlike certain people/ readers in other parts of the world who silently enjoy your books and criticise them in public (sheer hycpocricy), in India you will find ahuge legion of fans who support you and appreciate your works both in private and public.
In fact, an Archer work is th ebest ay to break the ice- if the present political tension in India is to be reduced. Both Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and former Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee... who seldom see eye to eye in most issues- agree on one thing- Jeffrey Archer is one great storyteller.

3:49 AM  
Blogger kolahala said...

JEFFREY

you would be surprised to know that Landmark or any other book store in chennai does not stock your dramas. I am keen to buy them . Can you do something about it?

9:18 AM  
Blogger adithya said...

Sir,
It was awesome meeting you here in Chennai and getting your autograph on the book!
My mum cried after finishing the 'paths of glory' saying that the end was extremely touching! :)
Hope to read more and more of your books :)

P.S: I love your autograph, looks like it has been printed :)

2:25 PM  
Blogger saurabh shah said...

sir,
may i draw your attention that hindi, marathi, malyalam, tamil and kannada are NOT dialects but languages.all these languages have their own distinguished scripts and a long tradition of their own literature as well.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Narayan said...

@ Kolahala above

its always been a mystery to me why the Archer dramas were never made available to readers over here in India. I had a hard time getting the plays from England. THE ACCUSED is published by Methuen who has an international distribution base (they are the distributors of Tintin in India); while BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT is published by Samuel French. I dont knwo whether they have a distribution base in Asia- and I think Samuel French books are available only in US and UK. EXCLUSIVE has never been publised as a book....I have had the fortune to read it- and its just amazing
We should file a mass petition asking Mr. Archer to print release all these 3 plays in India...

3:00 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

saurabh shah - Sorry for that. I appreciate you pointing my mistake out, and I've corrected it. Many thanks.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Kathirvel said...

Lord Archer,

It was a dream come true to meet you and hear you. You come across a very friendly person without any barriers.

We will cherish the moment you authographed the book and when you posed for a snap with my 10year old son.

Kathirvel

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir ,

I was in landmark waiting to meet you . If you remember you had called upon a young girl on stage who had written a story of the haunted house , I was standing next to her about the same age as her . the question I want to ask you is What age did you start writing .

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Anisha - glad you made it to the event. I was 34 when I started writing.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a honour that you replied Sir.
Are Your short stories ok for children aged 10 and up ?

1:10 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Anisha - yes, although I would say that most of my short stories are okay for children aged 10 and up, it may be a little young for some of them.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir ,

This is Deepti the one who told you about the haunted house . My question is Are there any upcoming books that I can read in the age of 10 ? I am Anisha Deepti s friend , since she cannot write to you i am writing from her side.

12:28 PM  
Blogger fleur said...

mr archer, just finished paths of glory, its brilliant, as a proud new zealander,and admirer of sir ed ,i still accept the possibility your book suggest, i cant wait for your next book, many thanks,.....fleur

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir ,

Lately I have been reading your interveiws in the paper in one you have said that you secretary writes in your blog and you edit it a bit and then post it is this true ? I really want to speak to you personally over th phone could I have your number I am only 10 so please .

3:05 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Anisha - no, my PA doesn't write my blog - I dictate it, then she types it up onto the blog because I don't use a computer. If you have any other questions, do please send them to me at questions@jeffreyarcher.co.uk

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

will do so .

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home