Just landed in Delhi and stopped at the Trident Hotel for a snack before going on to speak at my next function. As I walked into reception, Wasim Akram, former Pakistan cricket captain, was walking out. He very kindly invited me to dinner at a Japanese restaurant tonight, so I'll report on that on Monday.
The general election here in India finished yesterday, and the results will be announced tomorrow, but it's already accepted that with 30 parties involved, some horse-trading will inevitably take place over the weekend to decide who will be Prime Minister and who will hold the different portfolios. I get the general feeling that in these troubled times, the Indians would like to retain the status quo, and they point out to this Englishman again and again that their banks are all stable and none of them have financial debts - although they are suffering from the knock-on effect of the recession in the US and Britain. Last night before my speech, I had a drink with Noel Tata of the Tata Group who of course has his own problems in India with Corus Steel and Jaguar and Landrover. He hopes that the British government (he's been dealing with Lord Mandelson) will support the group because they feel the long-term prospects for both companies are still very promising.
One of the wonderful things about visiting another country is you don't stop learning every day, and of course you see things from another person's perspective, which adds to the whole excitement of the journey. More later.
The general election here in India finished yesterday, and the results will be announced tomorrow, but it's already accepted that with 30 parties involved, some horse-trading will inevitably take place over the weekend to decide who will be Prime Minister and who will hold the different portfolios. I get the general feeling that in these troubled times, the Indians would like to retain the status quo, and they point out to this Englishman again and again that their banks are all stable and none of them have financial debts - although they are suffering from the knock-on effect of the recession in the US and Britain. Last night before my speech, I had a drink with Noel Tata of the Tata Group who of course has his own problems in India with Corus Steel and Jaguar and Landrover. He hopes that the British government (he's been dealing with Lord Mandelson) will support the group because they feel the long-term prospects for both companies are still very promising.
One of the wonderful things about visiting another country is you don't stop learning every day, and of course you see things from another person's perspective, which adds to the whole excitement of the journey. More later.



30 Comments:
Sir,
I think you should write a sequel to As The Crow Flies with Cathy or Charlie as the main character. It was indeed a great book.
Rohan Agarwal
Lord Archer
This is my first comment on your blog and let me start with a question, why no posts on your Mumbai visit?
I was there at Landamrk Mumbai, and it was really a pleasure to share the dais with you (when you were signing two of my books).
Twenty years back my English teacher told my grandfather that I had a flair for writing. It was then that he introduced me to Sir Charles Dickens through David Copperfeild. And since then, I must be honest to admit that I haven't written much, but I have read everything that has come my way.
But you are the fourth on my list of favorite authors preceded by Dickens in the 1st place, R K Narayan in the 2nd and Khaled Hoseni in the 3rd. You are also there on my list of 10 people to meet before I die. I guess I can cross of your name now.
It was like a dream come true for me when I heard you speaking and I sincerely hope that you keep writing absolutely fantastic books and keep coming back to India again and again.
Wishing you health and happiness
Vivek Singh
vivek@webvedics.com
hi i am a gr8 fan of urs i love ur books!!! u r so coooll!!!
hello i am gajalakshmi a 20 yr old frm india!!! i am a gr8 fan of urs i started reading ur books wen i was in 8 th grade!!!
Sir Archer,
The system of Democracy continues to baffle me.I don't know why all the politicans accuse and abuse each other while it seems from all their propogandas that they enjoy similar opinions on most issues and share a passion for serving the country .Then why can't they do it together and support each other and stop carving power.
Sir Archer,
I would like to know your views on the advantages of biparty system to the crazy system of affairs here.
I wanted to meet you in Delhi, but you came to gurgaon, which is way too far!! Hope you had a good publicity tour though.
We loved your talk today..You are indeed a great author & storyteller...please have a looooong storytelling session next time!The part where your assistant assumed Wasim Akram was Imran Khan was so very funny...We are the girls from Nagaland...do visit during the annual Hornbill festival in the 1st week of December...you have a huge readership there!Cheers!
Well, I was there at the "next function" held in Landmark,Gurgaon..& I think Lord Archer...you just made my day( or I don't know, maybe year or life..if I could change the phrase)!!!!!
I think today was probably my luckiest day ever!
Just like your books,in real life too,you were completely mesmerising.
The entire talk was sooo captivating that I was hanging-on to every word.
It was an amazing experience.
Im an ardent fan...have read all your books..own al of them( & original prints!!)....& wait impatiently for a new one everytime!
I hope I get an opportunity to meet you again.
Cheshta
Dear Lord Archer,
It is so nice to read that everything about India fascinates you.
On the 11th, Monday I was at Landmark, Chennai eagerly waiting to see you for the second time.I was there last year too and judging by the huge queue for the book signing(much longer than the last time),I think you can safely conclude that your popularity here is only on the rise.
Thank you for all the wonderful storytelling over the years and looking forward to a lot more!
Paths of Glory was a wonderful read and I would really like to read one more such book of yours, that's based on true life events.
George Mallory's life has fascinated me after reading PoG. Someone else on the blog, I think, had also requested the names of the books you had read during your research. Could you please tell me the names of some of those, if you could recall them?
Thank you
Hullo Sir Archer, Judging from the things you've written, you really seem to get about in a short space of time...politicians, industrialists, cricketers, et all!
Oh gosh, just as I wrote your name , i realized you have punned on your name (Archer) with regard to one of your titles -- "A Quiver full of Arrows"!!! That's an absolute favourite of mine and I have gifted it to many. Also your other books of short stories.I think you are unmatched!Yes, you can take a bow!!
I wrote a longish post in response to your blog of the 11th and it got swallowed up by the technology monster I think :-( Wanted to say we really enjoyed your talk today (eight hours ago at Landmark). I daresay you speak almost as well as you tell stories!
I thought I should tell you that the "sindoor" you referred to on 11th is the wrong word for it. The mark put on yr forehead as a sign of welcome is called a "teeka" in Hindi and "pottu" in Tamil. It is called "sindoor' only when it is applied to a bride or married woman's parting in the hair or hairline.
Have stayed up to read "Paths of Glory" while my husband and daughter sleep. Tomorrow morning we shall draw lots for reading rights!!
Wishing you a great tour,
Warmest, Jayashree
I have just finished reading Paths of Glory and rate it as one of the finest Jeffrey Archer novels ever. It combines a page turning adventure story with an enchanting love story and is so well written that by the end I was convinced that the history books need to be re-written. This story is crying out to be made into a film.
I think this was the wrong time for you to be in India as an author that is.....but the correct time to be in India- as a political observer....
I am thrilled at the news of AND THEREBY HANGS A TALE- and we would appreciate if you could make it to Trivandrum, Kerala (Gods Own Country) next time round....
I believe you will be coming to Gurgaon today Sir Jeffrey. Looking forward to meeting you!
Lord Archer!!
It was great meeting you at Landmark, Gurgaon. It was an amazing evening an every single person present was enthralled by the sheer aura of your story telling. We would definately like to know the what according to you was the best question asked to you that day? Hope that we would get that answer on your next blog.
Signing off .. On my way back to Jaipur...
Regards,
Arindam
Jeffrey,
Dinner with Wasim Akram aka "The Sultan of Swing" and I believe, the finest fast bowler EVER (oh, yes, and you Jeffrey...) now THAT, I would more than gladly have paid £14,000 for!
I'd also have "upped" the ante had Noel Tata joined the table.
Now, you have yet another tale to tell...
Hi Mr.Archer,
Was really hoping you would come to Hyderabad, India. Maybe some other time now.
I have already read the book...inspiring,sad. Very different from your previous ones.
Like you mentioned, could you sign a copy of the book if I send it to you? Do you have an official address?
Really hope you have a good India tour.
Love
Amritha
amrith911@yahoo.com
sir
gd evening
hope you had a memorable day today.the other day at landmark chennai i wanted to ask you 2 qs. since i had a very bad throat infection that day i couldnt do so.but someone asked the question which i wanted to ask ie abt writers block.another thing i would like to ask is what memorable incident (which happened in chennai) will you tell to your family. also at the end of your tour i like to know which city you liked best and for what reason you like it. i am eagerly awaiting your next book ie short stories. i would like to send you some photos i had taken the other.may i send it ,if so to which id
prasanalaxmi
sir
i would also like to know your comments on my article i had sent you on may 12.it will really be a memorable treasure if you write a comment on it.already many friends of mine envy me for getting a signed copy and also for the photos. they will envy me more if you comment on my article.
prasanalaxmi
Sir have sent you some pictures of the evening at Landmark, Gurgaon...
I met you yesterday at Landmark Pune and got my book signed, As the crow flies! I’m glad its one of your favorites also and your wife's.
- A fan!
Dear Jeffrey,
Hope you have enjoyed the dinner with Wasim Akram. Yes, you are right in saying that one never stops learning when in a foreign land. Looking forward to see you in Bangalore. This is Uday.
Cheers.
Oh my Lord!!
Like you many of us did think in the same line of horse trading to form a government but may be we forgot that Indian voters can get matured in a span of 5 years.
Anyways, now that you have almost done with your tour and had an over whelming response and sell of your latest book, what do you have in your mind?
Yesterday, I was at Pune, Landmark where you presented your theatrical skills to keep the few hundred audience glued for 45 minutes, even announcing that you are going to work on a special love story that you got from Bombay… oops Mumbai.
I should tell you that your Indian readers will be waiting for this one as you have used an age old ploy to attract, I still remember the line you referred that you wrote, something like “you know that we can’t we can’t have a long-term relationship”.
Nice, and let me tell you I just had to come to office today as these days bunking office can eventually make one to loose a job. So, I will have to wait for the night to read about your version of George Mallory.
To end, I think being a famous and widely read author in India is nothing short of winning “Who will become the Millionaire” every season.
Wish you grow from a millionaire author to a billionaire, who has conquered at least a minion hearts in India.
Thanks and regards,
Soumya Bhattacharya
www.soumyabhattacharya.com
laxmi - many thanks for your comments. You can send the photos to questions@jeffreyarcher.co.uk
Amritha - I was disappointed not to be able to fit Hyderabad into the tour this time. But I'd be happy to sign your copy of 'Paths of Glory' and will email you the details.
athirupa - many thanks. I can suggest a couple of books about George Mallory - 'The Mystery of Mallory and Irvine' by Tom Holzel and Audrey Salkeld, and 'The Wildest Dream' by Peter & Leni Gillman.
Soumya Bhattacharya - many thanks for your post. My next project which I'll begin this summer, will be a set of short stories called 'And Thereby Hangs a Tale'.
Jeffrey I do hope you will read AN INDIAN DAWN which I see photographed on your right at teh Landmark showroom in Gurgaon. Please continue to be an inspiration many like me. Deepak Mukarji
laxmi - It's impossible for me to choose a favourite city in India, as I had such a wonderful welcome everywhere I went, but thank you for writing.
sir,
i am not a hardcore novel reader....but i have finished Kane & abel and i must admit ur better than any other author on the earth.i liked not a pennny more but i read it in marathi nt english.i tried to read matter of honour but damn the language is very complex and i couldnt understand wat was going on till the end.also the first among equals was horrible 4 me.its not ur fault,my enlish is poor.
i want to ask u a qstn which would b funny....u said u signed many shattered ancient copies of kane & abel So will u ever sign a xerox copy book(off course illegal)???
i asked bcoz i do have a book of urs but its not original but xeroxed.i asked u so coz i saw ur interview on indian news channel where u said in india ur book is read by 25 ppl.so ur probably in loss in india.But indians are not so rich to buy books & read.70% student don get pocketmoney (and i m 1 of them)so how ll they buy ur book?the rich ppl can do so & i guess u signed their copies bt wat ppl like me?we also love u(more than those rich ppl).i promise u wen i ll have money or wen i ll get job i ll buy original copy(may be of "And Thereby Hangs a Tale") till then i hv to depend on those liabraries & ebooks.bi-da-way i couldnt find 11th commandments ebook on net..don worry i ll buy it later if i don get digital copy.
I know my comment is not making u happy but plz don bother & keep writing
wish u happiness
regards
sagar joshi
sagarinjoshi@gmail.com
Post a Comment
<< Home