Yesterday I attended the presentation of the Sheridan Morley Prize for the best theatre biography. On this year's short list was Arthur Miller by Christopher Bigsby, Bloomsbury Ballerina by Judith Mackrell, a biography of the ballerina Lydia Lopokova, Apprenticeship by Peter Gill, based on his diary of his early years with the Royal Shakespeare Company, and A Strange Eventful History by Michael Holroyd, about the lives of the actors Ellen Terry and Henry Irving. As I've long been an admirer of Michael Holroyd, I was delighted he was the unanimous choice with the judges Ruth Leon, actress Patricia Hodge, last year's winner Dominic Dromgoole and publisher and literary agent, Christopher Sinclair-Stevenson. Among the guests at the Garrick Club was one of the barristers who cross-examined me during my trial. It was rather strange to have a friendly chat with him...and he also appeared to be a fan of my books. Funny old world. Could it only happen in England?
I went on to Charles Hendry's fiftieth birthday party. Charles is Conservative front bench spokesman for energy and a man who has been steeped in politics since the age of 15 - as William Hague reminded us in his witty, off-the-cuff speech when proposing Charles's health. I much enjoyed his remark that Charles had joined him as a researcher when he was leader of the Tory Party. "How about that for loyalty," Hague remarked, "not many people join the Titanic after it's hit the iceberg." It was nice to see Frank Field and Ben Bradshaw among the guests, showing that 'behind the Speaker's chair' there's always been a fair degree of bipartisanship between the two main parties. Funny old world. Could it only happen in England?
I went on to Charles Hendry's fiftieth birthday party. Charles is Conservative front bench spokesman for energy and a man who has been steeped in politics since the age of 15 - as William Hague reminded us in his witty, off-the-cuff speech when proposing Charles's health. I much enjoyed his remark that Charles had joined him as a researcher when he was leader of the Tory Party. "How about that for loyalty," Hague remarked, "not many people join the Titanic after it's hit the iceberg." It was nice to see Frank Field and Ben Bradshaw among the guests, showing that 'behind the Speaker's chair' there's always been a fair degree of bipartisanship between the two main parties. Funny old world. Could it only happen in England?



5 Comments:
Sir,
Yes sir it could only happen in England. So, when are you leaving for India.Bon Voyage.
Rohan
which is correct
or which is more correct
could it only happen in england
or
could it happen only in england
Most probably, yes.
marcantonysjournal.blogspot.com
No wonder, there is no written constitution in England.
I have read books over and over again...you are my most favorite author. I usually finish your books within a week of their release. I stay in US but have recently come to Kolkata for a summer vacation. I am disappointed that your tour will not include Kolkata where there are so many ardent supporters. Hopefully next time Landmark should arrange for you to come to Kolkata. Bon Voyage to you.....and good luck on finding a director for one of your bestsellers.
Post a Comment
<< Home