Many of you will know that there's an election going on in India at the moment, and because of the country's size, it is conducted state by state. I arrived the day before the election in Chennai, so in many of the interviews I did yesterday afternoon the journalists couldn't resist discussing the political system and the problems facing their country. What they didn't tell me, and indeed I didn't discover until I arrived to make my speech at a dinner in the evening, that this is a dry day. Two days before the election, you are not allowed to drink alcohol - pubs close, liquor stores close, a bottle of wine was removed from my room and I noticed that even the miniatures had disappeared from the minibar. So I sat down to dinner with 300 people who were drinking orange juice and Coca Cola. I'm flattered they bothered to turn up. I can't imagine how the English would take to that as a idea. More tomorrow.



18 Comments:
I am sure that is a Election Commission's idea of trying to keep a country's spirit high on an election day. Talk about democracy....
lord archer,
i am an indian of age 19 and i dont drink but i dont see the whole point of it being a dry day in india before the elections. the only practical reason i see is to avoid aggravagating the already agressive. it is a known fact that during the elections there is a lot of "peaceful" demonstrations and a lot of damage to public property, my guess is that the absence of alcohol only allows a little more control over the public.
sir,
good evening once again this is avaid reader writing.unlike u sir many inidans don't know when to say 'enough' and thats why i think the election commission declares a dry day here.one day we will probably learn to use our common sense and say'enough' and maybe that day the EC will think of keeping alcohol available during elections.
Lord Jeffrey
It is tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on specials days when the government thinks the trouble might spill over beyond management .
The whole world needs Gandhi on one or another occasions .
thanking you
rajeev gurjar
salamatpur--on--ganges.
rajeevgurjar@gmail.com
Jeffrey
As your fellow diners had come to see and hear you, I doubt lack of alcohol spoiled their evening which would have been, I imagine, a far from "dry" event...
hi Lord Archer..
Im one of your many fans.. :)
ermm.. are you coming to Malaysia for your book tour?
eSKay - no, sorry. Only India on this tour.
For those Indian's who unfortunately don't know the reason behind dry day, I'll explain it for them. The reason is that corrupt politicians' ( which by no means is a small number) distribute wine to illiterate rural people in return for votes. The EC wants to put an end to this, and hence the idea of dry day.
Dear Mr Archer,
As I said, when we spoke today at the Landmark book store in Mumbai, it was an honour meeting you in person. I have read most of your books, and am an ardent fan of yours.
Your latest book, “Paths of Glory” is undoubtedly a page turner that I completed in 3 days (apart from carrying out my duties as a journalist).
Meanwhile, I would like to point out that contrary to what you said about the first book of any author generally becoming one’s favourite, I liked “The Prisoner of Birth” more than any of your book, because of its sheer speed, thrill and touching story. I read it in one day… and after that read it three more times.
Wish you very best in life, sir, and looking forward to read and enjoy more of your creation. My salute to you O Storyteller.
Regards,
Gaurav Laghate
PS: Your support for SP in India was hilarious, and your speech was fantabulous (if you as an Englishman use the term).
why do we need alcohol...we are already high on spirits with Jeffrey Archer coming to India...
Hello Mr. Archer its been a privileged to have you here in Chennai, I feel disappointed that I couldn’t make it to the land mark and meet you in person. I am hopeful that you would visit Chennai again the next year, and if you did I would be very much glad to get an autograph of yours on one of your paper backs…….
I agree with Anant. There is alwways the potential for violence to erupt during elections and skirmishes are inevitable. I suppose it's easier for the govt. to handle miscreants without the added headache of alcohol cosumption.
sir
It was a honour having you in Chennai though I missed out on the opportunity to meet someone I admire very much, owing to a silly memory lapse.
I guess most of the Indian Population over here are misinformed about the purpose of 'Dry Day' over here. As some anonymous person tells it, politicians (read corrupt people) distribute alcohol to the unprivileged to get the voters in their favour.
Nevertheless sir, i eagerly look forward to your visit to Bangalore on Monday. hope I can get my ancient copy of Kane and Abel signed!
Lord Archer,
Thanks a lot for coming back to India.
Dry day is there so as to avoid Officially distributing Alcohol in slums which is very common (in spite of being Dry day)...
Anyways .. Hope to see you in person when you come to Pune. I missed it last time will not let it happen again. :)
hello mr. archer,
Somehow i am unable to get in touch thru this blog.
We met yesterday at Landmark bookstore.
I came twice in the line. Is there any other way i can correspond with you.
nivedita nagpal
nivedita nagpal - you can email me at questions@jeffreyarcher.co.uk
Dear Mallory,
This is how i feel today addressing you on accomplishing the journey to Chomolungma. An inspiring journey inherited and traveled by you and passed on for us to experience.
The Paths of Glory has left me touched.
Post a Comment
<< Home