Header
Header
Header
 


22 April 2009

Out and about

During Alison's absence, I went to the opening night of Death and the King's Horseman at the National Theatre, which I couldn't recommend, despite being written by the distinguished Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka. I, like so many of the critics, was insulted by the fact that it's alright for black people to 'white-up', but not for white people to play Othello any longer. Racism is a two-way street, and the national theatre should be the first to acknowledge this. I rushed home that night to do a radio interview with Nine to Noon in New Zealand where Paths of Glory was attacked for being discourteous to the great Everest conqueror Sir Edmund Hillary. It is fascinating how many people in New Zealand are attacking the book without bothering to read it - no complaints.

On Saturday, I went to see For King and Country at the Cambridge Arts Theatre, and was distressed to find an audience of barely over 100 for this quite beautifully written play. There were some fine performances, and it deserved a full house. Perhaps during a time of recession, people don't want to see a moving and tragic tale about the First World War.

The only other excursion I made last week was to the Whitechapel Gallery in the East End, to see the tapestry of Picasso's Guernica, who some consider to be his finest work. I've never seen the original which hangs in the Reina Sofia Museum in Madrid, but the tapestry, which normally hangs in the UN building in New York, is magnificent and well worth a visit. Check for lecture times, because I luckily arrived at 6.55pm just as the assistant curator was about to give a lecture on the history of the painting, which added both to my enjoyment and knowledge. Highly recommended.

7 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

"Paths of Glory" is a great read. A very good read indeed. Right up there (no pun) with the VERY best of your works. Congratulations! And, I greatly appreciated the final few pages giving the "survivors" histories. So often authors leave one in limbo in this regard.

Jeffrey it never ceases to amaze me how many people listen to/hear one side of a story only, then formulate a view which becomes cast-in-stone. The Kiwis need to get a life.

I, like many others, believe George Mallory did make it. A great man with a great story. I'd like to think if Mallory's "up-there" and has read your book, he'll be thinking you've done him proud... And, you have!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I recommend you one play that you should watch "the mousetrap" by Agatha Christie.One word to descrive it Classic.
thanks
Contact me @-victormystic@yahoo.co.in

7:21 AM  
Blogger Maintress said...

So happy that I picked up a copy of A Prisoner of Birth. It was my first time reading your work. I can hardly wait to get my copy of Paths of Glory. Cheers to a great author.

8:38 PM  
Blogger rosenpage said...

Sorry, I did not hear the NZ radio i/v re Paths of Glory.As a kiwi who admires your work I have discussed your latest, with several other readers, and with one exception, they have felt Mallory did get to the top- call us romantic, but it was the missing photo that hooked us! Sir Ed will remain a hero - Everest was just one peak in a life of adventures.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened to the Paths of Glory on my ipod. I was stunned and completely hypnotized by the wonderful story of George Mallory and his colleagues and family. Beautifully told by Jeffery Archer. The relationships were so well described you got a feeling you actually knew them. I didnt for one minute get the feeling the Sir Edmund Hillary was in anyway belittled by your book. After all he was the first climber to get there and back and as we know that wasnt the case with George.

As it is always a risk you take when you listen to a book instead of reading it, now I want to read it.

I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone, its fabulous. Thank you Jeffery.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinated by the idea listening to some book in a gadget...but as it is encouraging to read the same book again, reminds me the "double pleasure".

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Explora said...

I am going through Paths of Glory now and all I can say is that it is a blessing and a gift to be able to write like that. I open the book on my bed and a cold chill from the MontBlanc envelops me, and I am there, seeing them, hearing them discuss approaches to the summit. Brr! Congratulations, Jeffrey - you've done it again. A very pleasant, enlightening read so far, full of passion and adventure.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home