Header
Header
Header
 


13 March 2009

Two days in Ireland

After two day's sales Paths of Glory will come in on the Sunday Times Bestsellers list at No.3 - only 16 books behind the No.2 slot, and 540 behind the No.1.

I flew to Ireland yesterday to do a speech on behalf of Thomas Crosbie Holdings, a media company which owns a large group of newspapers all over Ireland. Their annual dinner was held at their HQ in Cork, and I was particularly nervous because in the last five years this event has been addressed by Henry Kissinger, Bob Geldof, John Major and Rudy Giuliani, but as always in Ireland, I received a warm and friendly welcome. I didn't return to my hotel until 11.30pm, but even so I was among the first to leave. This morning, I addressed 300 guests at a breakfast in aid of Cheshire Home. I learned two amazing facts whilst I was there - one, that five of the guests had come on to breakfast from my dinner without having been to bed, and two, the big news was that Tony O'Reilly has resigned as Chairman of the Independent Group. There was much discussion in the room as to what would happen to the group in the future, and whether TCH would be looking into whether it was up for sale.

After two more radio shows this morning - including one with Pat Kenny for RTE - I travel back to london to record Weekend Edition with Scott Simon on National Public Radio, which will be broadcast to the US tomorrow. Have a good weekend.

14 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey,

A Great result. Congratulations!

My wife has now finished our copy of "Paths of Glory" and refers to it as "a really excellent read".

So, my turn to read it gets nearer, only my daughter (at present) stands in the queue before me...

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey,
Great news on getting to number 3 - I'm sure you'll get number 1 next week. I saw your interview on The Book Show and it was good.
The best talk I have seen you give was when you talked about how you had a surgeon friend who wrote chapters between operations, and that you need to as dedicated as a great violinist, writing every day for hour after hour to achieve a high standard in writing.
Richard, Bristol

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If 2 days of sales can propel you to the No. 3 spot imagine what a whole week of sales is capable of doing!!!!

5:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jeffrey, I just finished reading Paths of Glory and it was worth the wait. thanks...However I have one query, In the Section Post 1924 when you mention Lt Colonel Hnery Morshead DSO, You say he was shot dead in 1931 by his sister's Pakistani lover, However Pakistan came into existence on the 14th of August 1947. Thus if Pakistan did not exist in 1931 how could he have been a Pakistani? He could have been an Indian. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. :) looking forward to your trip in May.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey

Are you going to attend the stratford literary festival in May?

Kindest regards

Rosemary

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jeffrey,

I have just ten minutes ago finished Paths of Glory. If it is not a best seller I will eat my hat! I could not put it down. I don't think you're one of, I think you are the best storyteller in the world. All of your books are great but this is your masterpiece to rival Kane and Able. What a story. I feel worn out after reading it. I just read at the end that Clare's husband died in a climbing accident in Tennessee. I bet it was in the Great Smoky Mountains. I have hiked Mt. LeConte in the Great Smoky Mountains (elevation 6,593) 32 times, the first time around age 10 with my Daddy while I was wearing a dress!

Truly a great book. I want to start on page one again.

Nanci Travis/Tn

1:29 AM  
Blogger essel1 said...

dear Jeffrey
I loved the post by Nanci Travis, and the post by Viral (nicely pointed out, that Pakistan didnt exsist before 1947)...my question to you Sir is, By writing about a true personality (as opposed to fictional characters) we kind of knew the ending..like Fredrick Forsythe's book (The day of the Jackal) was about Charles de Gaulle's assasination , so we kind of knew the ending....Though the book was extremely well written, and I finished it in 4 hours flat, a book with fictional characters is filled with more suspense! Your thoughts please....kind regards
Sachal (Pakistan)

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to voice these thoughts over here concerning the press's attitude towards Paths of Glory.
I just read The Guardian review of Paths of Glory and I was pained. Are British citizens (or some of them) hypocrites. Why are Mr. Archer's novels always in the bestseller lists, people buy them, people read and enjoy them, but generally wont admit that they liked it publicly. this is sheer hypocricy. If you dont like it, dont read it, but please dont secretly enjoy the book and publicly denounce it.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Rosemary - No, I won't be at the Stratford Literary Festival, but I am speaking at the Oxford Festival on Friday 3rd April.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Viral - many thanks indeed, and well spotted. I'll correct this for future editions.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Sachal - true, but everybody likes different things. Glad you enjoyed the story though.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kannan said...

I read Paths of Glory. Simplye superb. It's not your best work, but defintely a great work. Are you coming anytime to NYC sir.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Alex Blake said...

Hi Jeffrey,

Just finished "Paths of Glory" and again you didn't disappoint. I read recently that you were hoping it would be adapted to screen! however I still think "A Prisoner of Birth" would make a far better film.
Any ideas on your next project?

Alex.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Alex - Glad you enjoyed it. My next project will be a book of short stories.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home