Had to rush back from Cambridge to London on Sunday morning for a lunchtime auction at the Reform Club for Macmillan Cancer Support at their annual backgammon tournament. A signed first edition of Paths of Glory went for £2,300 - only £200 less than a weekend on a yacht sailing round the Greek Islands. I did point out to the very kind lady who paid this remarkable sum, that she could purchase it in any good bookshop the following day for around £10. Shot off afterwards to the cinema to watch The International - but I really couldn't work out who were supposed to be the good guys and who were the bad guys, and in the end, didn't give a damn. It was a toss-up between that and The Young Victoria - and I undoubtedly got it wrong.



3 Comments:
the details of your India tour please
Hello Jeffrey
Have just finished and thoroughly enjoyed Paths of Glory over the weekend. Well done.
I also saw two films, The Young Victoria which was good. I did not realise that Victoria was so attractive and obviously fake tan was available in the 19th century!
The film though I would recommend that you go to see is Gran Torino. Clint Eastwood is excellent as a grumpy old man! It also has a very good humane story.
Kind regards
David
Dear Lord Archer
Inspite of trying very hard not to read your latest book "Paths of Glory" (i bought it on day 1, but was keeping it) I thought I will read it and then stayed up the whole night and finished it in one go....Now can you oblige us and write another book fast...It was really great...Cheers and regards
Sachal
Post a Comment
<< Home