On Saturday, Cambridge beat Tynedale 32-18, securing their third place in the league, but hoping, like Liverpool, to still be in with a chance of the title. I rushed back from the match to watch Ireland beat Wales in the Six Nations, and for the first time in 61 years capture the Grand Slam, which means they should win it for the third time in 2070.
The only other sporting event this weekend brought even more disrepute to the game of cricket. The West Indian coach, John Dyson, called his team off the pitch because he thought they'd won the match when there were 5 overs to go. Ironically they hadn't, but the real point is there were 30,000 West Indians sitting in the ground who believed their team could score 24 runs in just over 4 overs, and several million watching on tv who'd sat through 7 hours waiting for the denouement. Mr Dyson should resign. I know the Australians want to win at all costs, but he made it clear in the 5th Test that he was playing for a draw. Why should the fans bother to turn up at all? Mr Dyson made it clear that he didn't give a damn for the spectators or fans. As I've said before, I would rather lose to the West Indies 3-2 and have a good series, than win 1-0 and bore the fans to death. With this attitude, Mr Dyson will empty grounds wherever he goes. Heaven help the future of cricket.
The only other sporting event this weekend brought even more disrepute to the game of cricket. The West Indian coach, John Dyson, called his team off the pitch because he thought they'd won the match when there were 5 overs to go. Ironically they hadn't, but the real point is there were 30,000 West Indians sitting in the ground who believed their team could score 24 runs in just over 4 overs, and several million watching on tv who'd sat through 7 hours waiting for the denouement. Mr Dyson should resign. I know the Australians want to win at all costs, but he made it clear in the 5th Test that he was playing for a draw. Why should the fans bother to turn up at all? Mr Dyson made it clear that he didn't give a damn for the spectators or fans. As I've said before, I would rather lose to the West Indies 3-2 and have a good series, than win 1-0 and bore the fans to death. With this attitude, Mr Dyson will empty grounds wherever he goes. Heaven help the future of cricket.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home