One of the fascinating aspects of a life-long love of art is the discovery of a new artist, who you later discover to your embarrassment, is considered to be a renowned master. This happened to me last night. I attended a private view of Bruegel to Rubens: Masters of Flemish Painting at the Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, and although the two artists named on the exhibition poster dominated with their magnificent works, it was a portrait in oil on panel of Desiderius Erasmus by Quentin Massys dating from 1517, that I felt stole the show. The gallery's director, Sir Hugh Roberts, confirmed that in his opinion it is one of the finest paintings in the exhibition and the artist in question was world class. Sir Hugh graciously admitted that the discovery of new artists was something even professionals could still experience, in fact he considered it one of the joys of visiting galleries all over the world.



4 Comments:
i think art in general, whether by a new artist or not has a way of opening vistas we never knew existed. I'm proud i share this enthusiasm for Art with such an extraordinary mind.
I was there this weekend and enjoyed it immensely. Though I didn't get a private tour and an audience with Sir Hugh :)
I am not sure whether it's your cup of tea, but the Dali exhibition [near the London Eye] is fascinating!!
I know that this is off-topic but wow...omg I didn’t know that you actually had a blog! I've been an avid reader of your novels for so long and you're one of the authors over the years that have inspired me…
I am going to buy Paths of Glory soon and come back to let you know what I think. I'm sure it will be an amazing read as usual! Please never stop writing...I love your books! :)
I have collected art for many years. I am always looking for new artists and have found much talent at the local craft fairs here in the States. I have a few Dali drawings and his Don Quixote sculpture. I find his work extremely interesting, also Sergio Bustamente who I call the Mexican Dali lol. Having read your books for decades, starting with "not a penny more.... , which I picked off some ones bookshelf on vacation and then looked for every book you had ever written, I have to say your love of art does not surprise me. I too am proud to share your enthusiasm for Art.
I will buy Paths of Glory right away and will read it on vacation. That way I can get totally wrapped up in it... while preventing my daily life routine from interfering in its content ;)
Thank you for your gift... I too love your books..... Please keep writing those wonderful stories...
Post a Comment
<< Home