It seems that one or two New Zealanders have been fretting about Paths of Glory, as they feel it insults Sir Edmund Hillary - clearly they haven't read it. But then some people, critics included, write their opinions without bothering to read the book. I'm a huge admirer of Sir Edmund, or Sir Ed as he is known in his own country, not just because he conquered Everest in 1953, but for the years of service he gave to the people of Nepal - helping them to build hospitals and schools, and which will be as much of a lasting legacy as his climbing achievements. With this in mind, late last night I appeared on Close Up Television with that very professional interviewer Mark Sainsbury, who did not dabble in snide remarks, but was fascinated by the possibility that Mallory might have indeed been the first person to stand on top of the world. To be fair, I've found most people interviewing me on this subject have taken it seriously which has made for a far better interview.



9 Comments:
Its a terrific account; very much in the style of The Fourth Estate; I love the way that a born storyteller can find a way into the events; I just read 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay; a magnificently written, Pulitzer prize winning book; I admired it and marvelled at the sentence construction; but, unlike Glory, did I love it enough to devour it in a short number of sittings?
Alas, no, because of the need to impress............
People like to have a go at you, given half a chance. I think they envy you and your success.
Its a funny world where some are forgiven and some are not. Those that have done no harm are not forgiven. Those that have are.
Have you enjoyed the Six Nations ?as I have for all sorts of reasons.
Sir
I finshed re-reading Paths of Glory yesterday.
Now, I also beleive that Mallory was a beleiver in naturism and many a biography of Mallory describes him as beleiving in "bonding with nature." I hav ealso seen photos of Mallorry sans clothes taken in the Himalayas. Sir, why did you chose to keep silent on Mallory's beleif in naturism.... i too agree that it hasnt any bearing in the whole gamut of things as far as the story is concerned..but.....
Narayan
Paths of Glory is another great book.Was Arthur Hinks being pompous when he said Mount Everest had an altitude of 29002 feet, or were they actually able to determine the height before it was scaled?Please keep writing, your books are fantastic.
I am not sure if my comment here would be appropriate...Mr. Radha Nath Shikder, a bangali surveyor determined the hight of Mount Everest first.
Anonymous - how interesting. Many thanks.
Paths of Glory-your best book yet! Couldn't put it down.
Hi very interested to see you on NZ TV, re sir ED . i was very interested in your speculation as to the photo of Ruth that was not in his Wallet , maybe on the summit!! . Stella was my Great Aunt and she always maintained that George Mallory always said that he would carry a letter of hers with him at all times , and sure enough one was found on his body , so who knows?? enjoyed the book very much
Just finished listening to the book on tape. Seeing Everest is a definite number one on my "Bucket List". You gave the mountain a personality and brought the history to life. The reader on the tape added to the overall effect. Whether he made it or not, when I read the tales of recent technology aide climbers...it is safe to hail Malory as the mountain's conqueror. All that being said...and as much as I was personally challenged by the adventure...give me an elevator any day.
Post a Comment
<< Home