If I was Mayor of London, I would ban Phil Hughes and Mitchell Johnson from entering the capital this summer. You may wonder who these two innocent people are. But if you follow cricket, and are looking forward to us winning the Ashes, I have a horrid feeling these two young men are about to spoil the party. Both are currently playing against South Africa, and are causing mayhem - one with the bat, the other with the ball. Hughes has taken the place of Hayden and become the youngest person to score two centuries in one match, while Johnson took a bag full of wickets and then scored 96 not out - the new McGrath. And the really bad news is that they are only aged 20 and 23, so don't bet on us winning the Ashes before 2024.
Whilst on the subjet of cricket, I was disappointed that the West Indies picked 7 batsmen and 3 bowlers for their latest match against England, showing they would be satisfied with a draw and to win the series 1-0. When will cricketers and the authorities wake up and realise that a lot of us don't give a damn about the overall result if we've enjoyed five good Tests? In fact why should anyone bother to turn up to watch if they know one side is only playing for a draw? I would rather lose a Test series 4-1, have entertaining matches and full grounds, than win 1-0 and bore everyone. Every team should have victory in mind, because if it doesn't, the Test match, like the dinosaur, will become part of ancient history, and the cricketers themselves will be the cause of their own downfall.
Whilst on the subjet of cricket, I was disappointed that the West Indies picked 7 batsmen and 3 bowlers for their latest match against England, showing they would be satisfied with a draw and to win the series 1-0. When will cricketers and the authorities wake up and realise that a lot of us don't give a damn about the overall result if we've enjoyed five good Tests? In fact why should anyone bother to turn up to watch if they know one side is only playing for a draw? I would rather lose a Test series 4-1, have entertaining matches and full grounds, than win 1-0 and bore everyone. Every team should have victory in mind, because if it doesn't, the Test match, like the dinosaur, will become part of ancient history, and the cricketers themselves will be the cause of their own downfall.



8 Comments:
for this to become a reality you need captains like Mark Taylor, Hansie Cronje and Mike Brearley. Not a Lara who will put 400 before a result, Not Mahela Jayawardene who will wait for the fifth player of the innings to score a hundred
Sir....you started this topic with the phrase "if I were Mayor"...frankly i was one of the few who prayed that you would not become the Mayor- for I remember reading in a 1998 (or 1999) interview in an Indian Magazine called THE WEEK that you would stop writing if you become Mayor....it would have been a great loss for the literary world...
and that said, i think u woudl have made a good Mayor. i read about you vision and perceptions in A BETTER DEAL FOR LONDON...
London's Loss is the literary world's gain
sir lets be honest, even without those two its very difficult for england to win against ausz
I only hope to have good match instead of one-sided match.
Well, England did lose finally. Guess, there's a lot to be done for them to actually rise up to the task of matching Australia, considering South Africa and India, both beat them.
On a more positive note: Hope England kicks some Ozzy butt.
Cheers.
Honestly, England should do something to renew cricket interests. Offlate all the players are substandard or have serious political connections. Time to bring some raw talent.
Being an Aussie I'd like to see Australia win, of course ... but some would agree with me that it is no good for the game if one country wins all the time. A really close match is better than a "walkover" :)
It is very tough to beat the aussies if england let them dominate in batting which i think they will. So every inning they should limit the aussie to less than 250 runs. I know i am dreaming but why not try bowling at three quarter length with some high bounces(not bodyline), the weather would give them lot of swing. I think england should watch the video tapes of shaun pollack.
Lorraine, i would diagree with your statement. Only the best team should win the match. I think that's the best for competetive sport. It would become an entertainment event if we want other teams to win. We have 20/20 for that :-) :-)
Lorraine - I agree with you about a close match v a walkover.
Post a Comment
<< Home