Header
Header
Header
 


23 February 2009

The weekend's highlights

I travelled down to Trinity College, Oxford, on Saturday evening to do an auction for the Oxford Radcliffe Hospital, and their special cancer appeal. The main speaker was Sir Matthew Pinsent, who gave a fascinating talk on what it's like to win four Gold medals in four Olympics. The auction raised £21,000, but I didn't get home until 1.30am; pity it wasn't last night, then I could have stayed up and watched the Oscars. While I'm on the subject of the Oscars - my readers in India must be over the moon with the results for Slumdog Millionaire - for Hollywood, read Bollywood.

Last night, I went to see the film Frost/Nixon, which I enjoyed immensely, but that may be because of my fascination with politics. I thought Frank Langella, who plays Nixon, was outstanding. In fact he was so good, that I'm going to see Milk, because as Sean Penn beat him for the Oscar for Best Actor, it must have been one helluva performance.

5 Comments:

Blogger alok bansal said...

You are missing out on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I haven't seen Milk or Frost/Nixon (but I hope to do so soon), but I was sorely disappointed that Brad Pitt didn't win. Its a very well made movie and Brad Pitt is very refreshing.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my first post.Mr.jeffrey i must tell u u r a genius.(i no u already knew it).
I always tell my friends'show me any suspence

movie,any novel & i ll find who can be the killer except jeffrey archer'.I always get fooled by u & find something diff at

end.Yesterday i read digital fortress by dan brown & within few mins i guessed who might be guilty & i was prooved right at

end.but if u would have written it,i would never guess the end.I like ur endings of stories specially 'not a penny more','u ll never live

2 regret'.I read ur 7 books(dont be overjoyed i didnt buy them, just borrowed) out of which 'kane & abel' is my most favrt book.I

never read such a book in my entire life(of 23 years).I also liked ur short stories including chunnel vision,u ll never live 2 regret

it,luncheon,christina rosenthal.I wonder why dont u write a funny novel like 'the luncheon' short story.U have a good sense of

humor and i really laughed much while reading that story.keep writing(sorry for my english as it is soo "week".I read ur novel to improve my english as well,seriously)

-a fan from india(sagarinjoshi@gmail.com)

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read Kane & abel , As The Crown Files in arabic i love it, also i read Cat O’Nine Tales it's good ..

Now i will read Prisoner of Birth in english. You can't imagine how it is difficult to me; but i will read it to improve my english and because i love your'e writing and i didn't found any more novels for you translate it in arabic in UAE libaray

I hope in future to see your novels in cinema

best wishes
Fatima

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey. Hope this finds you well and happy.

I will be curious to see who you feel should have won the Academy Award after seeing Milk. I think Sean Penn did a fantastic job in Milk but I think he won the award because of his politics (Prop. 8 being turned down in CA). I also think that is precisely the reason Frank Langella did not win for Frost/Nixon. Brad Pitt and Mickey Roarke both did a great job in their roles but in my opinion Frank Langella should have won best actor.

I was also glad that Slumdog Millionaire won for best picture. Did you read Q & A? I read it a few years ago and I think the book was better than the movie.

Looking forward to Paths of Glory next week. Any book tours in the US??? Nanci/TN

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your readers in India? Many people in India are unhappy about this film. Maybe if an Indian film won Oscars, instead of a foreign film about India...no, Jeffrey, it's not a Bollywood film. All that head-punching in the Scrubs must have got to you.

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home