On the advice of a friend, I went to see Altermodern at Tate Britain, and I could not recommend you waste your time going to see this show.
My test for any exhibition is as follows:
1. Would I recommend someone to spend an hour of their life visiting?
2. Which piece would I take home with me, if I was offered it free?
3. Which piece will be on display anywhere in the world in 50 years time?
Sadly, my answers on this occasion, are:
1. No, they’d be better off standing out in the snow for an hour building a snowman - but beware, it might just win The Turner Prize.
2. None of them.
3. Not one single piece - mind you, I won't be around in 50 years time to see if I'm right.
However, I am much looking forward to the Tate's forthcoming Van Dyck to Britain exhibition which opens on 18th February.
My test for any exhibition is as follows:
1. Would I recommend someone to spend an hour of their life visiting?
2. Which piece would I take home with me, if I was offered it free?
3. Which piece will be on display anywhere in the world in 50 years time?
Sadly, my answers on this occasion, are:
1. No, they’d be better off standing out in the snow for an hour building a snowman - but beware, it might just win The Turner Prize.
2. None of them.
3. Not one single piece - mind you, I won't be around in 50 years time to see if I'm right.
However, I am much looking forward to the Tate's forthcoming Van Dyck to Britain exhibition which opens on 18th February.



2 Comments:
You're right: it was ghastly. Desperate to see Van Dyke, but wondering how it will compare to the wonderful Van Dyke at the RA a few years ago? Though the Tate always has an interesting way of curating these exhibitions. I love your 'three things' criteria, I shall borrow that, if I may.
That was pretty funny; you only have to look at how modern art has instantly depreciated following The Crunch to see that the great man is spot-on.
On Radio 4 on sunday morning there was mention of a man who sculpted and sold a bronze cast of a bin bag............utter rubbish indeed.
Really looking forward to the new novel, by the way, at the very least, what could be more idiosyncratic and cinematic than a fellow who climbed Everest in tweeds?
Post a Comment
<< Home