Header
Header
Header
 


27 February 2009

On-going support

The credit crunch is truly hitting the charity auction circuit. Last night at the Brewery on Chiswell Street, despite a really well-organised sports quiz in aid of KidsOut (a charity which aims to bring fun and happiness to disadvantaged children whatever their background or circumstance), the auction raised only £18,000. The top bid of £1,200 came for a walk-on part in Hollyoaks. My latest book, Paths of Glory, published next week, went for £700, and a chance to fly a 747 in a flight simulator, £600. Gone are the days when people bid £5,000 for something simply because they want to support the charity. The sports quiz host was John Parrott MBE, the former World Snooker champion, who was as amusing as ever, and much appreciated by the audience who had a hugely enjoyable evening.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

SIR I AM AN INDIAN SRUDENT OF GRADE 8TH AND I AM GLAD TO TELL YOU HOW GREAT YOU ARE PLEASE CAN YOU GIVE ME YOUR EMAILID ?


YOURS TRULLY- YOUR FAN

3:52 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey

Unfortunately, (and I mean that in the correct sense) you're right.

I've just returned from a trip to Hyannis Port in the U.S.

There and, as I understand things, throughout the U.S., Charities of all types are really feeling the pain...

A very great shame. charities provide so many services many of us "take almost, for granted"...

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home