I have little to add to the thousands of column inches being written in the London press about the magnificent cricket match in Chennai between India and England. No author would have dared to write such an ending, with the greatest batsman on earth not only scoring the winning runs, but also making a century at the same time.
When I was in India earlier this year, I made my views clear on Twenty20, stating that cricket is a five day Test match. I feel vindicated. There is no other sport on earth that lasts for 5 days and can end with such drama on the last session of the fifth day. We all look forward to the second Test later in the week, and when I return to India in April next year I fully expect to face a barage of affectionate jibes at my suggestion that we would win the one-day series and follow it up with a win in the Test series...ho, ho, ho.
When I was in India earlier this year, I made my views clear on Twenty20, stating that cricket is a five day Test match. I feel vindicated. There is no other sport on earth that lasts for 5 days and can end with such drama on the last session of the fifth day. We all look forward to the second Test later in the week, and when I return to India in April next year I fully expect to face a barage of affectionate jibes at my suggestion that we would win the one-day series and follow it up with a win in the Test series...ho, ho, ho.



4 Comments:
Dear Sir Archer,
First of all thanks, as an Indian(esp one of the guy who stood in really a long long queue at landmark to take your signature on 'my' prisoner of birth) I really feeel proud about what you had to say.
But wanted to add, we always have had a kind of "cannot show it out,but it exists hatred" towards the brits(prob got to do with pre 1947) and what i might say is grandoise but i Think this one tour is going to change it.
As a great grand son of a freedom fighter and a son of a cricket fan (I was named S.Venkataraghavan, since i was born when a south indian off spinners was made the captain of India), I think the reall winners are The English Team and ECB. What Temerity.
You guys are truely the gentleman of the sport.
Cheers
Venkat
Lord Archer,
They say cricket has moods....and yes it does, it was India's day, but never give up!I will and still continue to cheer the Kenya cricket team, despite loosing count of when we will ever win.Thats Cricket, yes it is!
Kind Regards
Andrew
Thank God we never taught 'em Rugby!
Lord Archer,
is Calcutta going to be in your itinerary when you visit India next summer?
kind regards.
Pratima
Post a Comment
<< Home