One of the items I regularly auction for charity is the opportunity to hold a dinner in a special place with a top chef, maybe the boardroom at Coutts, Mosimann's, or the kitchen at the Savoy. Last night, one of my friends who'd purchased such an item for a vast sum of money, held a dinner for 14 of her friends, at Partridge Fine Arts on Bond Street. We dined around a magnificent oak table in their private room, with its beautiful Jacobean oak pannelling; the food was sumptuous, the wine delicious and the company scintillating.
Sitting next to me was a man who had recently lost $75m with Lehmann Brothers, and on the other side, a man who sold Dutch paintings, so it was an evening of learning. The banker told me that within the next few months, oil could fall as low as $25 a barrel, but he had personally bet on it reaching $200 within 5 years. Those with a long memory, keep this in mind. The man on my right, told me that the very finest paintings were still maintaing their price, but anything between £5,000 and £100,000 remained on the walls, unsold. Perhaps the most fascinating statement of the evening came from the sort of Republican who voted for Goldwater - no Democrat would ever be acceptable - who claimed that Obama would raise taxes for the rich to 65% (they are currently at 30%). He also predicted that Mrs Sarah Palin was history. We shall see.
Sitting next to me was a man who had recently lost $75m with Lehmann Brothers, and on the other side, a man who sold Dutch paintings, so it was an evening of learning. The banker told me that within the next few months, oil could fall as low as $25 a barrel, but he had personally bet on it reaching $200 within 5 years. Those with a long memory, keep this in mind. The man on my right, told me that the very finest paintings were still maintaing their price, but anything between £5,000 and £100,000 remained on the walls, unsold. Perhaps the most fascinating statement of the evening came from the sort of Republican who voted for Goldwater - no Democrat would ever be acceptable - who claimed that Obama would raise taxes for the rich to 65% (they are currently at 30%). He also predicted that Mrs Sarah Palin was history. We shall see.



8 Comments:
An eclectic series of predictions and opinions from what seems like a very entertaining dinner party. Perhaps, Lord Archer, you might consider having a followup post in a years time and comment on who was right and who was wrong.
Hi,
Sounds like a great evening !
Yes, agree with Geoff, may be interesting having a follow-up to see how things progressed, if at all.
Best,
Ellipsis
http://ladyellipsis.blogspot.com/
Dear Mr. Archer,
I have just finished reading your Prison Diary series while I am teaching English in Japan. The local library carried them in a scanty English section (4 3 foot shelves). As a former US lawyer, and fan of your novels, although I have yet to catch up with your prodigious writing of late, I was very moved by your personal ordeal with the vagaries of British justice (and justices), I wish you would write a sequeal to your efforts to change the course of the British penal system. And most especially, the fate of Justice Potts (who reminded me of so many US judges I've known in a 25 year career at the US/Maine bar).
I also am looking for your play (not on your website?) about Mallory you refer to having started in the 3rd Prison Diary; is it finished, been produced, where?
I do note that you assume in your Diaries series that your reader knows more about British politics than I do, and wished you had identified the detailed nature of your "original sin" in having been "done" for perjury, and whether your embezelling secretary was ever prosecuted (for theft, as only some MP's are done for perjury)? I also had a sticky fingered secretary, who was never prosecuted, since I signed the checks (checques), I was told!
I like the green suit!
Sincerely, Jeff
I agree with the above too - a follow-up of these predictions would be most interesting.
I have just finished reading Cat O' Nine Tails, which I enjoyed greatly.
Sincerely
Geraldine
Sarah Palin: if she was the Rep Party's last hope they really were in the mire...
hey I notice you correctly spelt panelling with two Ls, unlike the youth of today. I recently found a 14 year old's dropped English exercise book. Lord A ~ you would not believe the execrable state of the grammar spelling and general linguistic demeanour. It was all so utterly dreadful I am planning to quit the country before the Labour Party do it any more damage...
Dear Lord Archer, It is always fascinating to hear and know your thoughts about others. Not necessarily do I feel influenced, but I agree with your views about most things. I am not sure if I missed it, but, I would like to read your thoughts and views about David Cameron. I think he and Obama would make fantastic partners in changing the world for the good.
I look forward to your next novel.
Good Luck Sir.
Manoj Punjabi
Ghana
Lord Archer,
I tend to believe that politics is deep in you. Ever since I read your novel, shall we tell the president? way back in my college days in northern India,I was inspired by your imagination and found where i could fit as a writer. Your mention of Obama in your last comment, set to motion ideas which have be stored for 28 years. I will look forward to to your presence in celebrating my upcoming first book "The Obama Country" Thank you for your Inspiration though your pen to the millions who you dont know!!
Kind Regards
Mbogori
Well Sir Archer perhaps with time only you would be able to confirm which one of the two gentlemen were right. What might also be possible that both of them were true in their own context.. As at times both Mr William Kane & Mr Abel Rosnovski were correct at times.. Just that they were both seeing things from their own point of view...
In between just completed reading "As the Crow Flies". Amazing characters ... Lord Archer I must comment. Charlie Trumper is the one of the best fictional characters I have ever read about. My association with your writing started with " The Prisoner of Birth" which you released when you came to Gurgaon, India. Since then have made a mission to complete reading all your books.
Lord Archer .. looking foward to your visit to India again.
Sincerely,
Arindam, New Delhi , India
Post a Comment
<< Home