An energetic weekend began on Friday evening when I addressed the Politics Society at Emmanuel College, Cambridge . First, dinner in their beautiful hall, followed by a speech and Q&A in the Old Library. Undergraduates can either be too clever by half, or too sycophantic. This lot managed to find the middle road - intelligent and interesting, and I didn't get away until 11.15pm, which will give you a clue as to how much I enjoyed the evening.
The following day, my rugby team, Cambridge, smashed Wharfedale, 52-7. But the hightlight of the afternoon was an outstanding speech made by their president, the former England centre, John Spencer, who beguiled us with his wit and wisdom, that his team were quite unable to duplicate thirty minutes later.
In the evening, I travelled to Bedford to do an auction which raised £20,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support, and was organised by Pippa McLuskie and her husband Ian. At every function I attend, there's always someone who's devoted hours of their time and energy to making something work, for which they get little reward other than the joy of seeing a job well done. Pippa and Ian are two such people, supporting a first class cause. Once again, I didn't escape until nearly midnight, but the entertainment - the singing waiters and two disc jockeys from Bedford - sent everyone home in a happy mood, despite these tough times.
On Sunday, I visited John Mills, the distinguished former president of the Royal British Society of Sculptors, at his home in Baldock. I enjoyed an afternoon viewing his works from over the past 40 years, many of which are displayed in his handsome garden, together with the smaller works in his studio. As a collector, he told me I should look at Epstein and Underwood, as they were, in his opinion, vastly under-rated when compared to Henry Moore. His wife, Jo, had baked a batch of delicious biscuits, which is why I put on a couple of pounds yesterday afternoon, and had to work extremely hard in the gym this morning.
The following day, my rugby team, Cambridge, smashed Wharfedale, 52-7. But the hightlight of the afternoon was an outstanding speech made by their president, the former England centre, John Spencer, who beguiled us with his wit and wisdom, that his team were quite unable to duplicate thirty minutes later.
In the evening, I travelled to Bedford to do an auction which raised £20,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support, and was organised by Pippa McLuskie and her husband Ian. At every function I attend, there's always someone who's devoted hours of their time and energy to making something work, for which they get little reward other than the joy of seeing a job well done. Pippa and Ian are two such people, supporting a first class cause. Once again, I didn't escape until nearly midnight, but the entertainment - the singing waiters and two disc jockeys from Bedford - sent everyone home in a happy mood, despite these tough times.
On Sunday, I visited John Mills, the distinguished former president of the Royal British Society of Sculptors, at his home in Baldock. I enjoyed an afternoon viewing his works from over the past 40 years, many of which are displayed in his handsome garden, together with the smaller works in his studio. As a collector, he told me I should look at Epstein and Underwood, as they were, in his opinion, vastly under-rated when compared to Henry Moore. His wife, Jo, had baked a batch of delicious biscuits, which is why I put on a couple of pounds yesterday afternoon, and had to work extremely hard in the gym this morning.



6 Comments:
Sir Jeffrey archer,
I am writing this comment just to tell you...what an influential person you are...and you have such a wonderful gift of inspiring people through your master works..your books.....i just love reading your books(i know..its no exception!)...and its after reading your book:cat o nine tales...that i too got this habit...of reading all late into night and stuff..just cannot wait to read through the entire stuff…and the time just flies by!..
Kane and Abel was a beauty...but really pitied William…for the kind of death he gets..and when in The prodigal daughter…William`s son Richard too faces…a painful death…wow…it kind of pinches…would love to read more of your books …sir..
VD..
Hi Jeffrey
Will you be coming to India - more specifically bangalore for the matches between India and England?
anonymous - I can watch England winning at home! Best wishes.
Dear Mr Archer
I want to thank you for writing such superb books. I am thoroughly enjoying reading each one.
I am a South African (also cricket lover!) teaching english in South Korea at present, and find myself for extended periods on the public transport system (without hearing a word of english for long periods) - I am always armed with one of your books, and even found myself (after a hard day) endulge in some much needed 'retail therapy' a few weeks ago...and bought all the J Archer books from one of the few english sections in a Korean bookshop. They are a tonic to me.
I think your writing is brilliant.
If you ever visit Seoul or Cape Town, drop me a line - it would be my pleasure to show you and your wife around, ...or take the two of you to Newlands Cricket Ground (which is a 2min walk from my home.)
Regards
Anri de Klerk
Macmillan nurses supported my sister in law when she was dying of cancer. Well done to you...
Thanks for keeping the rugby info comming from my old and my sons old club.
Post a Comment
<< Home