Header
Header
Header
 


17 November 2008

A Nobel Prize winner?

The weekend began with a speech at the Garrick Club, in the Donald Sinden Room, to a group of cricket lovers - though when questions came, it appeared they were more interested in politics, and in particular, my views on whether the Conservatives would win the next election. As I've been saying the same thing for the past two years, I merely repeated that Margaret Thatcher was 18 points ahead of Jim Callaghan when he ws Prime Minister, and on election day she won by only 3%, so I certainly don't assume the Conservatives will win the next election, though they certainly ought to.

After lunch, I travelled up to Cambridge to attend a lecture at Cambridge University Hospital (Addenbrooke's), where my wife, who is chairman, introduced Alastair Compston, Professor of Neurology, for the annual lecture. Professor Compston gave a brilliant discourse on his work for the past 17 years on MS. His breakthrough with patients with recently diagnosed MS, has been a major triumph. Will he get the Nobel Prize?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say this, but PM Brown is surely unbeatable because of his preceived grasp of the economy, and the opposition are too mannered and honourable to take the power away.

I didn't agree with Lady Thatcher's policies, but what gives her greatness, is her instinctive ability to fight like a tiger when the occasion demanded.



All that said, I was very impressed with David Cameron last week when he confronted the PM at Questions about the Social Services...............to win, surely the Tories need more of that sincere passion...........

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home