Header
Header
Header
 


05 November 2008

From the Third World to leader of the free world

Last night I went to the Reuters building in Canary Wharf to do an auction on behalf of Photo-Voice, a charity which specialises in educating young people from developing countries who wish to work in photo journalism, and thereby transforming their lives. I was due to conduct the auction at 8 o'clock, but aimed to arrive early in order to study the photographs beforehand. I left my home in Lambeth at 6.30pm and headed for the city. As soon as I reached Canary Wharf, the sat nav went mad: turn left, turn right, do a u-turn...but it had no idea how to find Reuters. I'm tempted to give a prize to anyone who can reach it on their first try! I eventually made it 40 minutes later, and much enjoyed the exhibition, which you can view on line at the Photo-Voice website. One of the most popular images on the night was by Robert Doisneau (famous for The Kiss) whose photograph raised £7,250. The audience consisted of some 300-400 young business men and women, and the auction raised £77,000 for the charity.

Escaping from Canary Wharf was almost as difficult, except I decided to go in a straight line, and to hell with the lady under the bonnet. I arrived home just after midnight, to find the exit polls were telling me that Barack Obama would be the 44th President of the United States. I was delighted to learn this, although am bound to say that when I awoke this morning and listened to Senator McCain's speech, he could not have been more gracious in defeat. In fact it was the best speech I've heard him make in the whole campaign, and I hope the President-elect will make use of this clearly able and decent man.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir,

I am an 18 year old from India. I have read some of your novels. Of them, Kane And Abel and Cat O nine tales are my favourite.
The three prison diaries are also very good.

Your crime novels are also much above par than that of John Grisham. I like the pace of your novels. Please write more novels like Kane And Abel.

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir,
Your three prison dairies are the best. Really the were fanastic.
i just wanted to ask that where did you get the picture of man with the pig, in one of your dairies. Forgive me as i dont remember the exact name.

Also your novel, ' Kane and Abel' was fantatic. i liked the character of Abel especially. Please continue to write more novels like Kane and Abel.

And are your coming to India for the upcoming cricket series of India Vs England, as i am from India.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home