Header
Header
Header
 


18 November 2008

A collection of greats

Yesterday I went to three exhibitions. The first at the Tate Britain, to see their Francis Bacon exhibition, the second at Sotheby's to view their forthcoming Great British Collection sale, and the third, at the Chris Beetles Gallery for his annual Illustrators show.

Having had lunch at the Tate, I began with Francis Bacon, and confess that although I can see that he is hugely talented, I have never gained much pleasure or enjoyment from his work. After I'd completed the seven rooms, I felt no differently, though strangely would advise anyone to see the works by this respected master, as I doubt there will be a major Bacon exhibition of this calibre for several decades. You may come out as I did, not having changed your views, but it will surely add to one's general knowledge of the transition of art after the Picasso era and before the Hirst extravaganza.

I returned to my flat to work on the final line-editing of my latest novel, Paths of Glory, (dots, commas and the removal of superfluous exclamation marks), before going on to Sotheby's. The exhibition was due to open at 6.30pm, and as I wished to go on to another event afterwards, I arrived a little early, at 6.25pm to find a long queue and the doors locked. The doors were finally opened at 6.36pm, by which time the 100 or so people waiting outside were frozen. Sotheby's must feel very confident of their future if they can be that inconsiderate of their customers. The exhibition had three quite outstanding paintings that were worth the visit alone, while the rest of the fare was not only second-rate and over-priced, but made one realise the struggle auction houses are going to face in 2009.

From Sotheby's, I travelled on to the Chris Beetles Gallery in St James's, for his annual show, The British Art of Illustration, 1800-2008. For thousands of people this is the highlight of their Christmas calendar. Chris has over 500 pictures on the walls, E H Shepard, Louis Wain, Heath Robinson, Ronald Searle and Quentin Blake, to name but a few. Prices range from £400 to £35,000, so there's something for everyone. This is by Quentin Blake, a pen, ink and watercolour entitled Blowing Bubbles.



The opening night was packed, as usual, and the show runs until January 3rd. So if you're looking for something at a reasonable price, it's well worth a visit...yes, I am biased, Chris is one of my closest friends, but my own collection proves just what good value buying one of these works has turned out to be. My first E H Shepard of Christopher Robin and Winne-the-Pooh (bought in 1988), cost £3,750; an inferior one sold at Sotheby's last year for £45,000.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jeffrey,

Just finished reading Prisoner Of Birth, and thoroughly enjoyed while reading. Just curious would you have thought at the end Gerard saying guilty and then Larry in panic following him. It will be great if you can say little more about finishing end with a twist. Like how to differentiate a twist created for the sake of it and a real twist taking the example of given possible alternative end.


Thanks
P

2:45 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

pashabhai - Many thanks for your comment. I wish I could say it was very complicated how I worked out the ending, but actually it just popped into my head when I woke up one morning!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Jeffrey,

Interesting comments on the three exhibitions. Francis Bacon's work leaves me cold... Stone cold. Thanks for the introduction to Chris Beetles Gallery, one I hadn't heard of but shall now visit. Sounds fascinating.

By the way, are you able to say when "Paths of Glory" is expected to be published?

Must say I'm really enjoying "Prisoner of Birth", just got to page 55 last evening before nodding-off. Am reading it in parallel with "A Prison Diary" Vol. 1 "Hell" where I've just reached page 142. A really great read by the way, for those who haven't yet - and I agree with the Independent on Sunday review; "Riveting" really is the word. Don't know why it's taken me so long to get 'round to the diaries but they're all here now.

Jeffrey, you mentioned in this post that you're doing the final line-editing on "Paths of Glory". Hopefully, you'll disclose more of your writing process as the Blog continues? Please..? I'd guess there are many more than me who have an interest in the creative process.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

charlie - many thanks, much appreciate your comments. 'Paths of Glory' will be published on March 6th, 2009.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jeffrey

Delighted to hear that 'Paths of Glory will be published in March 2009. I've had something of a 'Jeffrey review' this year. After I bought Prisoner of Birth at the Stratford-upon-Avon Literary Festival in May - we met briefly and you kindly signed my copy - I read POB, found the first 50 or so pages a little slow but then couldn't put the book down until the end - always a good sign! That inspired me to re-read some of my old favourites - A Matter of Honour and Not a penny more, not a penny less. Superb.

Will you be joining us for the 2009 Stratford-upon-Avon Literary Festival? We'd love you to come back again, so many people were disappointed to have missed you before, I'm sure we could find you a bigger venue this time around.

Thank you for always coming up with such an entertaining read.

Very best wishes

Victoria

7:49 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

Dear Victoria - Many thanks. I'm afraid I have no plans to be at the Stratford-upon-Avon Literary Festival, but appreciate your kind comments.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home