I spent an hour yesterday at the Rothko exhibition at the Tate Modern. Once again, I tried desperately to understand why the artist has such a major reputation. I took my son William's advice, selected the picture I most liked - a deep red square on a black background - and stared at it for 10 minutes. Of course I could see Rothko has an amazing command of colours and their relationship to each other, but I still didn't get it. I moved on to a room where there are four black canvases. When you stare more closely, you can see there are different shades of black, however I remain mystified as to why this is considered to be magic, because I wouldn't want one in my own home. I must be wrong because too many experts tell me he's a genius. I'm determined not to give in, so will return next week and have another look.
If any of you have seen the exhibition, I'd be fascinated to hear your views, and despite my misgivings, I would still recommend a visit.
If any of you have seen the exhibition, I'd be fascinated to hear your views, and despite my misgivings, I would still recommend a visit.



1 Comments:
Dear Mr Archer,
I have been an ardent fan of your books since a very very long time, with Kane and Abel being my first read, till A Prisoner of Birth a few months ago.
As for Mr Rothko, I guess I have had a similar experience with 'Earth and Green'. Your love for the arts definitely manifested itself in False Impression. And I echo your thought of not actually 'getting the point' of Modern Art, especially Rothko. I have still not understood what was being conveyed in Earth and Green, and neither has my father or his father. So I guess the wisdom aspect also fails here! I could do nothing more than perhaps humorously blog about it.
Please keep writing, you add a lot of cheer to the world.
Post a Comment
<< Home