Header
Header
Header
 


31 October 2008

A round-up of the day

I attended the opening night of La Cage aux Folles at the Playhouse Theatre last night - the third time I've seen an opening night of this play. I was fortunate enough to be in Boston on a book tour when the original production opened, and I then saw it again in London some 20 years ago. This production has already been a sell-out at the Menier Chocolate Factory, and I suspect that the transfer will have a long run. Last night was great fun, and the audience clearly enjoyed themselves. If you want to leave a theatre feeling better than when you went in, then this is the one to lift the gloom.

As the curtain fell, I ran out of the theatre, jumped into my mini, and dashed across to Piccadilly to get to BAFTA in time for the auction for MediCinema. These large functions are often a good way of slimming, because the food is usually so dreadful, but this was a notable exception. The auction raised £43,000, which will go to a new hospital being built in Newcastle, and in particular for an entertainment and cinema room for the patients. The dinner followed a screening of Quantum of Solace, the new Bond film - just in case you've been on Mars for the past two weeks - which made the audience susceptible to giving generously to this worthwhile cause.

Got home about one in the morning, and switched on the TV to find that Ross and Brand were still dominating the news channels. A quarter of a million people have been murdered in the Congo during the past few weeks by an evil regime - just in case you missed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home