I am often made aware of journalists who review books written by their friends, and am embarrassed by what they have to say - though clearly both the writer of the book and the reviewer believe it's one of the privileges of their trade. For that reason I've tried to avoid talking about, or writing about, my friends, for fear you would correctly say I was biased. Today is the exception, although I admit I am biased.
Last night I went to the opening of Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, an exhibition of some 300 examples of British watercolours and drawings from 1750 to 1850, at the Chris Beetles Gallery in Ryder Street, St James's. This has already been described as the finest exhibition of early watercolours since the Royal Academy's much heralded show in 1993. Indeed, with examples of the works of J M W Turner, William Henry Hunt, Thomas Hosmer Shepherd, William Payne, George Morland, John Glover and the largest selection of Thomas Rowlandson I've ever seen. There is something for everyone. My favourite was a remarkable picture of Tintern Abbey, Wales, by John Varley, although it's worth the trip alone to see Packing a Coach beside the Old Swan Inn by Thomas Rowlandson and this magnificent William Callow, Rheinfels and Village of St Goar.

Last night I went to the opening of Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive, an exhibition of some 300 examples of British watercolours and drawings from 1750 to 1850, at the Chris Beetles Gallery in Ryder Street, St James's. This has already been described as the finest exhibition of early watercolours since the Royal Academy's much heralded show in 1993. Indeed, with examples of the works of J M W Turner, William Henry Hunt, Thomas Hosmer Shepherd, William Payne, George Morland, John Glover and the largest selection of Thomas Rowlandson I've ever seen. There is something for everyone. My favourite was a remarkable picture of Tintern Abbey, Wales, by John Varley, although it's worth the trip alone to see Packing a Coach beside the Old Swan Inn by Thomas Rowlandson and this magnificent William Callow, Rheinfels and Village of St Goar.

If you want to pass a couple of happy hours, this is as good as anything in the West End.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home