Last night's auction was held at the Waldorf hotel - food not as good as the charming staff - where 200 guests met to raise money for Leukaemia Research in memory of Robert Bigland, who died of cancer last year. It was very much a huntin', shootin', and fishin' group, as illustrated by the auction items which included Partridge shooting for six guns, two rods on the River Test, and a box at Newmarket. The auction raised £38,500. There is no doubt that the credit crunch is hitting the charity circuit, and with 15 auctions still to go before Christmas, I'm beginning to think that I won't reach the £2.1m I managed last year. Frankly, people are not bidding for something they never really wanted in the first place - however worthwhile the charity.
Tonight I'm off to the Guildhall to an auction on behalf of St John Ambulance.
Tonight I'm off to the Guildhall to an auction on behalf of St John Ambulance.



2 Comments:
Dear Lord Archer,
I just wanted to ask a question, regarding your book, "A cat of nine tales", In this you mention a story of a restaraunt owner, who was swindling the tax authorites, and after getting caught the first time, he found a new way of doing that. If that story is true, cant the tax inspectors also read your book, find out which Italian restaraunt owner was in Belmarsh at the same time as yourself, and catch him again. Assuming you have changed his name, even then it wont be that difficult for the authorities to catch him. Just a thought that came to my mind . Cheers....Sachal Lakhwani (Pakistan)
Hello,
I noticed one of the themes running through many of your blogs is the many charity auctions you attend. Having followed you writing over the years and being more than just the casual fan, I actually collect your books. If you decide to auction any signed books please let me know as I for one, credit crunch or not will be the first bidder. Regards J Harvey
Post a Comment
<< Home