Header
Header
Header
 


22 October 2008

All hail Ms Roger!

I had the privilege last night of attending the opening night of Piaf in its new home in the Vaudeville Theatre. Ms Elena Roger gives one of the most magnificent performances I have ever seen in the West End, and deserved the lengthy standing ovation she received when the curtain fell. I've already spoken about this show when it was at the Donmar, and it's even better in the proscenium, and as Ms Roger is only doing 100 performances, if you are a serious theatre-goer, you cannot afford to miss it. The cast of agents, boxers, pimps and lovable scoundrels only add to a thoroughly entertaining evening. Your grandmother won't like the language, your grandchildren won't understand the sex, but the acting is so good that you almost won't notice. The evening will live with you for years to come.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Man Who Loves Everton said...

i'm going to see it this weekend.

i booked the tickets when you highly recommended it months ago. thanks. just can't wait.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote a post a year ago on this blog. It was totally off-topic, I was pointing out some mistakes in Kane and Abel form the point of view of a Pole. I sort of hoped I would get some answer, or, at least, some sign that these remarks have been read by Mr. Archer but it never happened. Disappointed as I am, I can't help myself- I have post here again. I have just read 'Not a Penny..." and am more than surprised- a main character with Polish origins again!
Please Mr Archer, tell me- why do you like to write about Poles so much? Who has influenced you? Was there a certain person, who told you about our history, or have you done research on my country? And one last question (I do hope you won't find it cheeky- it is not my intention): why do you like your Polish characer to be ruthless, calculating power- and success-houngry people? I must admit it stands in opposition to what most of us seem to be.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What has happened to Jeffrey Archer's work re prisonr welfare and prisoners education - I thought that Mr Archer was championing these causes since coming out of priosn?!?!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

spin_girl - many thanks for your comment. I just like the Poles! I have done some very enjoyable book tours in Poland with my early books, although I sadly haven't been back for many years. Best wishes.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - perhaps you don't count three books, regular speeches, sponsorship of the Koestler Trust prizes and prison visits?

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Mr Archer for your response. We, Poles, like to be liked very much! :) Please come and visit us again.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home