Yesterday Mary and I attended the Memorial Service for Alan Coren who was a friend for thirty years, and a true example of a man who doesn't change when things are not going so well for you. Those of us who followed his daily life in Cricklewood in The Times, or enjoyed his books, radio and tv programmes, have public memories which we will remember for the rest of our lives. My private memory is of him continually saying that he felt he ought to write a novel. I tried to tell him that when you're as bright, funny and erudite as he was, you don't have to do anything else. The truth is, most of us want to do something else and are never satisfied. Alan was so talented he not only left an indelible mark on his generation, but on everyone who came in contact with him. Sandi Toksvig gave a moving and witty address, while Giles Coren read a piece from The Great Gatsby, and Victoria read from her father's words. Both were moved to tears. I shall miss him, but in that I only join thousands of others.



2 Comments:
It's a bit silly to snatch at just one tiny line in a brilliant career, but I remember an early tv review that he did in one of the better papers about 25 years ago; he was talking about an ancient, immobile Hollywood legend, Robert Mitchum, taking top-billing in an epic mini series about the build up to WW2 called "The Winds of War".
Mr Coren essentially said; "Let me tell you why Robert Mitchum has magisterial gravitas; HE HAS BEEN FITTED WITH A PLASTIC HEAD"..
Such is the power of a well-aimed verbal 'pop', I've never lost the mental image.........a good soul......RIP.
I am sorry for the loss of your friend.
Post a Comment
<< Home