Header
Header
Header
 


15 September 2008

An evening's entertainment

On Friday night Mary and I went to the Cambridge Arts Theatre to see A Girl with a Pearl Earring which will be transferring to the Theatre Royal Haymarket in London for a limited 6 week run starting on 24th September. I much enjoyed the original book by Tracy Chevalier and the film with Colin Firth and Scarlet Johansson. The secret of this story is to believe that any man who sees the girl is immediately entranced, as, looking at his great oil painting, Johannes Vermeer clearly was. Back to the performance at the Arts Theatre which starred Adrian Dunbar as Vermeer, and Kimberley Nixon as the young girl, who was indeed beautiful. I can't tell whether this play will work in London, but it could easily become the hot ticket. I certainly had a very enjoyable evening, not spoilt by the fire alarm that went off during the interval which meant we all spent 20 minutes outside on the pavement.

On Saturday, we attended an evening of opera in Trinity College chapel with performers from Opera North. The subject was the life of Bizet, and as even I'd heard of Carmen, I much enjoyed the performance. Afterwards, we all went into the dining room to enjoy Trinity's hospitality, including their famous creme brulee - which they claim to have invented (I doubt it). It was a rare occasion for me to watch an auction being conducted by someone else, and Mr Robert James was outstanding, raising another £4,000 for Addenbrooke's Charitable Trust which will be directed to cancer care. The evening was a sell-out at £100 a ticket, which only goes to show in what high regard this great hospital is held.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed the film of Girl with a Peral Earing, shame you had the fire alarm thingey

9:26 PM  
Blogger Chanchal said...

Could you kind enough to atleast read my blog once?
http://manoshijanalyzing.blogvis.com
Manoshij banerjee, India

11:46 AM  
Blogger Sean Flanagan said...

Hi Jeffrey, I've just signed up for your newsletter. I should point out that this post is nothing to do with your own; just seemed an easy way to say hello. Saw you on Gerry Ryan a few days ago, I like the "I never answer that question", as it leaves no room for come back,(even when dealing with a former barrister, Mr Ryan) - one I use, borrowed from the House of Commons, is "I refer you to the answer I gave some moments ago"; it usually has the desired effect, although has drawn some bemused looks at job interviews in the distant past. Anyway you've prompted me to resume my future illustrious writing career, though I need to start my 1/2 day's work now before the children finish school at 1pm. Keep writing, Sean

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home