Header
Header
Header
 


29 September 2008

Art and history tour

I'm in Berlin for 5 days of culture, under the redoubtable leadership of Professor Peter Lauritzen. A party of 20 of us are being educated about a city I know nothing about. I met the Professor when Mary and I were in Tuscany last summer, and he convinced me that Berlin has unsung and unknown treasures. He has known Berlin for thirty years, and last night took us on an orientation tour of the East and West, after which we dined at the Reichstag in a wonderful restaurant overlooking the city. We ended the evening with a fascinating walk up the sweeping spiral staircase in the Foster Dome, before walking back to our hotel through the Brandenburg Gate, passing all the wonderful Meissen and Herendt china shops. We are now off to see the first of the city's treasures, on which I will report tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good! Look forward to reading your further adventures of discovery in this most contradictory city.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck! Just remember not to mention the war! (Either of them).

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to see the Stasi headquarters in East Berlin, (now a museum) and am unlikely to forget the floor that dealt with interogation and incarsaration.

I was especially repulsed by a small wooden coffin-style box located on a wall,presumably used for torture. With a withering look of disgust, I asked a guide what the box was for.

"AHHHH........he said......THOSE BOXES TOOK PEOPLE UP AND DOWN THE BUILDING"



Oscar Wilde once said, "Tis better to say nothing and suggest ignorance, than open one's mouth and confirm it".

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello sir, I could not contact you through the link given in your site so may I please have your email address. I have a query for kane and abel.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Johnny Norfolk said...

We lived and worked in Germany for 2 years but was not able to visit Berlin.
I will find your comments interesting and I hope you enjoy Germany more than we did.

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would like to hear your opinion on the architecture for the new Weston pier - thanks:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Weston-Super-Mare-Grand-Pier-Designs-For-Fire-Site/Media-Gallery/200809415110093?lpos=UK_News_News_in_Picture_UK_News_Region_1&lid=GALLERY_15110093_Weston-Super-Mare_Grand_Pier_Designs_For_Fire_Site_

5:49 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

explora - I had a look at the designs for a new pier in Weston, and I can't say I'm very keen on the ultra modern one, but there are a couple of very attractive ideas there. I'll be interested in seeing what is eventually chosen.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home