Duncan Weldon and Paul Elliott kindly invited me down to Chichester to see the sell-out production of The Music Man at the Festival Theatre. The audience loved Brian Conley from the moment he walked out on stage, and it quickly became clear why it's been the theatre's most successful musical in their history. In the interval we had drinks with Ronald Harwood who has two of his plays running in the Minerva Theatre, also sell-outs. Ronnie was on top form, but had to leave us so he and his wife could go and have a cigarette outside - luckily it wasn't raining. When he returned, he had Maggie Smith in tow, and I was sorry to have to return to my seat after the interval as I had so many questions for the great actress.
On the journey back to London with Paul Elliott I learned that our 8 minute slot at the Olympic closing ceremony cost £2.5million (about the same as staging The Sound of Music at the Palladium), which made Paul wonder what the whole Olympics was going to cost. Don't worry, I assured him, Boris has promised us that it will come in below budget (£9.3billion).
On the journey back to London with Paul Elliott I learned that our 8 minute slot at the Olympic closing ceremony cost £2.5million (about the same as staging The Sound of Music at the Palladium), which made Paul wonder what the whole Olympics was going to cost. Don't worry, I assured him, Boris has promised us that it will come in below budget (£9.3billion).



5 Comments:
Wow! I cannot believe I just now found your blog/website. I am an American living in London who has been a longtime fan of yours. My Mum introduced me to your books when I was about 16 years old. I have enjoyed every single one that I have had the pleasure of reading. I just ordered several that I have not yet read. Oh the anticipation! Keep the books coming! Thanks for the many hours of thrills ~ Cren
TWO AND A HALF MILLION FOR EIGHT MINUTES?
Boris is marvelous, and his recent compilation of car reviews from GQ magazine are brilliant, but that really clarifies how unrealistic the estimate is.
Those people who love him, appreciate his disarming honesty, and it would be refreshing if the organizers could accept that it's impossible to mount at that cost.
For that matter, it would be great if London could organize opening/closing presentations that played to national strengths such as the acting/literary traditions, the history of the nation, the reputation of the airforce and military organization, rather than going out on an avent-guard limb, which, I fear, makes us look a bit silly and, in recent days, has already done so.
Look at how all the other successful nations who hosted play to THEIR gifts.
Sorry to rant, it means a lot to many people that this is done properly.
Red double deckers that appear to explode, recalls grim memories of 'The River of Fire' Dome fiasco at 1999/0.
Dear Jeffrey
On your recent visit to India I had managed to give you a copy of a story titled ...For a pri$e. I was just wondering if you had found the time to go through it.
An ardent fan
anonymous - you're not ranting, I agree with you!
anonymous - well done with your story - keep going!
Post a Comment
<< Home