Just back from my holiday in Sicily, but I would like to open by saying that having been to five Olympics, what a wonderful Games we had in Beijing. I had feared there would be upheaval, discontent and disaster, and am delighted that my fears were not realised. First I must congratulate the Chinese on what can only be described as a magnificent Games, beautifully administered, and indeed they must be proud to have topped the medal table beating the Americans for the first time. Yes, it is true they threw money at it, but throwing money at something doesn't always mean it will be a success.
The achievement of our athletes has been under-estimated, because it is continually compared to the Games of 1908. 100 years ago Sweden were top of the medal table and most of the British team came from either Oxford or Cambridge, and there were about 25 countries involved. Now there are over 150 countries taking part, and still we made 4th place, which is what Seb Coe had hoped for 2012. One can only admire the amazing achievement of Michael Phelps and his 8 gold medals, but the star of the Olympics for me was Usain Bolt, the first man ever to win the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay all in world-record times. I've read some remarkably ill-informed rubbish in the press about Jamaica as if we hadn't noticed what they've been doing over there. Some of us who have been visiting the World Athletics Championships for the past 20 years are well aware that they have continued to deliver champion after champion. At the Helsinki games 3 years ago I had a quiet drink with Jamaica's Olympic representative, trying to glean his secrets, and he just grinned at me and said, "Jeffrey, when we come to London, we will beat you in your own stadium." By the way, did anyone notice how well Trinidad and Tobago did? God help us if they joined together with the other islands and called themselves The West Indies.
Let me end by saying how much I admire the achievement of triple gold medal winner Chris Hoy, but as someone who knows nothing about cycling or sailing, my hero of these games was Ben Ainslie - silver in Atlanta, gold in Sydney, gold in Athens, gold in Beijing, and no doubt gold in Weymouth (London). Arise Sir Ben.
The achievement of our athletes has been under-estimated, because it is continually compared to the Games of 1908. 100 years ago Sweden were top of the medal table and most of the British team came from either Oxford or Cambridge, and there were about 25 countries involved. Now there are over 150 countries taking part, and still we made 4th place, which is what Seb Coe had hoped for 2012. One can only admire the amazing achievement of Michael Phelps and his 8 gold medals, but the star of the Olympics for me was Usain Bolt, the first man ever to win the 100m, 200m and 4x100m relay all in world-record times. I've read some remarkably ill-informed rubbish in the press about Jamaica as if we hadn't noticed what they've been doing over there. Some of us who have been visiting the World Athletics Championships for the past 20 years are well aware that they have continued to deliver champion after champion. At the Helsinki games 3 years ago I had a quiet drink with Jamaica's Olympic representative, trying to glean his secrets, and he just grinned at me and said, "Jeffrey, when we come to London, we will beat you in your own stadium." By the way, did anyone notice how well Trinidad and Tobago did? God help us if they joined together with the other islands and called themselves The West Indies.
Let me end by saying how much I admire the achievement of triple gold medal winner Chris Hoy, but as someone who knows nothing about cycling or sailing, my hero of these games was Ben Ainslie - silver in Atlanta, gold in Sydney, gold in Athens, gold in Beijing, and no doubt gold in Weymouth (London). Arise Sir Ben.



3 Comments:
One of the reasons why I revisit this blog is because it is so even-handed, and the gracious comments about China's hosting is a good example.
There has been a remarkable amount of snide remarks made about the opening and closing ceremonies, which in no way reflects the stupendous efforts the country made.
Many countries have been positively affected by the games; particularly The Soviet Union in 1980 and Australia in 2000, (I think the recurring pretentious phrase used at that time was about acheiving 'national maturity') and that slow burn affect of humanity will also touch China.
All that said, I don't know if anybody noticed the brief shot of the old Olympic President, whom the brilliant writer Ian Wooldridge has very little time for. I couldn't help but ruminate about what Mr W would be thinking from on high...........
Good morning M'Lord
I do hope you enjoyed your holiday. My husband and I are leaving for the England (from Canada) in 2 weeks for our holiday and will be spending a week in London before travelling to Jonathan's beloved Cornwall.
Of course no trip to England would be complete without a trip to London. Everybody has so much to say about the city. I remember growing up in South Africa when they used to have adverts on the cinema screens for cigarettes. (we did not have television in those does). The one advert used to depict at horse drawn carriage going around Pall Mall and they used to say "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life...". How right Samuel Johnson was!
Now to the Olympics. Oh yes, we too enjoyed them. The only problem was that the 2 weeks went so quickly.
Michael Phelps is indeed a marvell. Our daughter was a good swimmer in her younger days and having 'done that' with her, we know the dedication, sacrifice and effort it takes. All Claire could say was "He makes it look so easy!"
Oh it was good to see the Jamaicans finally shine at what they are good at. Living in Calgary we all remember their first attempt at the Bobled in the 1988 Winter Games. (I was not here at the time, but living in my native South Africa). Now THAT took courage, so their performance in Beijing was only in keeping with their determination.
My husband and I had three countries to support - The UK, (my husband was born and educated in England and my grandparents came from all corners of the Island)South Africa and Canada. Poor South Africa did not fair well winning only 1 Bronze. However we feel that if baseball can be and Olympic sport, why not limited over cricket? That could have doubled South Africas medals..hmmmmm maybe not!
It is true that the Chinese government "threw money" at the games, including the coaching of the athletes. That should not take away from the athlete's achievements. They put in some serious training sacrifice for what they achieved.
My husband and I were fortunate enough to be in London in 2005 when the IOC made their official visit. London did you all proud and I am sure they will in 2012.
So it is now countdown to London, we of course are doing just that for the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, 535 days to go! Oh what would we do without the Olympics.
Look forward to your next blog.
Margaret
anonymous - Many thanks for your interesting comments. Ian would have loved it. Best wishes.
Post a Comment
<< Home