Header
Header
Header
 


14 July 2008

Old masters versus 'Art'

Went to the Tate Britain yesterday to see the contemporary works exhibition sponsored by BP, where I applied my normal rule, if you could take any of these home, which one would it be...and the answer? None of them. Is this really the best of cutting edge art today - three lights on a wall flashing on and off, a rope on the floor, or a piece of steel with a hole in it? Fifty yards away is a Turner exhibition, and I make no apologies for thinking that is art, and the contemporary works are rubbish. The test will be whether anybody is looking at these pieces in 50 years time. What a pity that neither Sir Nicholas Serota nor I (a layman) will be around to see which one of us is right. Though of one thing I am certain - Joseph Mallord William Turner will still be at the Tate in 50 years time. Don't bother to visit the contemporary gallery, go and see the Cezannes at the Courtauld instead, because they are wonderful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Graeme said...

I couldn't agree more. There is a distinct whiff of the 'Emporer's clothes' about a lot of modern 'art'.

11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree, contemporary art is rubbish. Actually I often question how some of it makes it into an Art Gallery.

I find your reference in your books to the Masters informative and always spurs me to get to an Art Gallery.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home