Header
Header
Header
 


16 July 2008

My favourite actress

I went to see The Chalk Garden last night at The Donmar, now they really are at the cutting edge of art - play after play that sets the standard in the West End. I have spent a lifetime admiring Margaret Tyzack who plays one of the two leads, and indeed it's beyond me why she isn't a Dame. Although I haven't met the great lady, I have never, in 50 years, seen her give a bad performance. She was magnificent, but the strength of that performance was matched in every way by her protagonist, played by Penelope Wilton - simply reminding us that the British have the finest array of female actresses in the world, I repeat, in the world. And we need have no fears for the next genertion, as the young Felicity Jones gives a polished performance as the 16 year old Laura, who, when she first walks on to the stage looking like a teenager, walking and talking as one, you don't doubt she is that age, but after only a few sentences you become aware of her acting experience, as confirmed in the programme notes. Although the show closes on August 2nd, I'm told it is still possible to get odd tickets for the matinees - rush to buy one.

I'm off to do the next draft of Paths of Glory, so will talk to you in a couple of week's time.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you be writing an autobiography Jeffrey ? Would some of the truths be to dangerous to tell ? I'm sure it would make superb reading.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are your favorite authors Jeffrey ? For those of us who like your style, who else might we enjoy ?

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic tip as usual. Its the thing I like best that you give us a real imsight into your own tastes...

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day today. I got an old book AS THE CROW FLIES you wrote many years ago. So great to reread it again...You are one of the best story tellers in the world, i repeat in the world...

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just now I stumbled on your blog!I just cant believe it, Am I really conversing with my fav author?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Itchingtowrite said...

Hi! first of all, I would like to thank you for writing such wonderful books. I have been hooked on right from the day I read Kane & Abel. I have 2 questions-
1. When is your next new book coming- cannot wait.
2. In prisoner of Birth- what do you mean by "Jenkins must have a sense of humour" while the cell was being allotted to Danny. I am unable to really figure out & it's killing me. If it is sorted out by the time I reach the end of the book then ok- I am just half way through now.
My email id is- itchingtowrite@gmail.com

12:16 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - I enjoy great storytelling, such as Dickens, and F Scott Fitzgerald.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

itchingtowrite - many thanks. My next book, 'Paths of Glory' will be published in March. As for your question, it's simply a reference to the mix of the characters' backgrounds in the cell. Best wishes, Jeffrey.

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home