Header
Header
Header
 


29 July 2008

From one peer to another

Just returned from Majorca, having finished the 10th draft of Paths of Glory, which is still on course to be published in March next year.

The first thing I do on arriving at any airport is call my PA, who briefed me immediately about the fire on Weston-super-Mare pier - the town in which I was brought up, and indeed took the title for my peerage. Let's start with the positive, and thank God that the fire was at 7.00am and no-one was injured. If it had been at 7.00pm, it might have been a far greater tragedy. On the sad side is the loss to Weston of its Eiffel Tower - the central attraction for a seaside town that depends mainly on the tourist industry. And perhaps sadder still, despite the Michaels family continuing to pour money into the town, the home where the brother and sister were born, it will take a huge investment to re-build this wonderful structure. You only have to look at other piers throughout Britain - Brighton, Southend, Cleethorpes, to realise that none of them have been restored to their former glory after fire, and none of them suffered as badly as the Grand Pier did yesterday. If Weston isn't to suffer the same fate, it will need the backing of both local and national government as well as a courageous entrepreneur who believes in the town's future.

I have nothing but happy memories of Weston, when, as a schoolboy working on the pier, I spent my tiny holiday pay on the penny-slot machines before returning home with empty pockets. It's a very sad day for Weston, which has enjoyed the benefit of the pier for over a hundred years, and let us hope that in the not too distant future its glory will be restored.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lord A is leaning on an open door; Majorca is simply the greatest place in Europe; you could have 100 trips there, and every one would be very different; it's like a mini-continent.

I am very lucky and grateful to live in a seaside town, and it is certainly true that holidaymakers and day-trippers are vital to the economy and depend on local landmarks and attractions.

That said, my own town has been the subject of some subtle re-invention, in other words, it has gone a little up-market with a marina, new designer flats and stylish restaurants/tearooms.

It was previously surviving, now it is thriving.

I think of a very recent weekend stay in Blackpool with my mum, who wanted to attend the Grand National; we hadn't visited Blackpool in years, and it was a disaster area........and yet so much potential.......


I just hope that a terrible tragedy will ultimately make the well-loved features of the town evolve into even better places.



March to follow 'Prisoner'?

Very soon; very industrious; can't wait.

I would have thought impossible; look at the timescale of fellow talented authors like Dan Brown or Thomas Harris.........

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like you Lord A I also love Weston! What a terrible shame...

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey,

I am from Bristol so know Weston and it's pier very well.
I had the same thought as yourself - that it was so lucky that this happened while no one was there, otherwise it could have caused great loss of life.
Maybe they need to look at the safety of piers like this, and when they rebuild, rebuild to higher safety standards.

Rich

10:16 AM  
Blogger ArcherFan1 said...

Hi Jeffrey - Hope the trip went well. Recently finished Prisoner of Birth. Fantastic story, as usual. Can wait for the next one. Best Wishes to Mary.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home