I went to The Spectator summer drinks party last night. It was so crowded, they'll have to get a bigger venue next year - or cut down the guest list. Everybody from Joan Collins to David Cameron was there, but I didn't spot Boris Johnson or David Davis - both of whom I suspect have more pressing issues to worry about. I had a fascinating conversation with Dame Joan Bakewell, who, after a distinguished broadcasting and journalistic career has decided to write her first novel. She's written a story about the Second World War - which she and I can both remember a little of from our youth - and incorporated into it a love story. We are both being published in March, and I wish her every success. My first novel, Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less, didn't make the top 50. I suspect she'll do a lot better.



2 Comments:
Reading Prisoner of Birth. Page 731 has a 'blindfolded' lady.
I undertand on supposedly good authority that she is not and that it is a common misconception.
Please put me straight on this as being in NZ am a bit far to go and have a look.
Though I did look at the lady a couple of years ago I didn't think to check.
My invite to your party never arrived was there Krug ?
HH
Post a Comment
<< Home