Mary and I were guests of Christopher Buxton who was throwing a luncheon party at Kirtlington Park in Oxfordshire, one of England's most beautiful stately homes, in honour of James and Shirley Sherwood who were celebrating 150 years (they are both 75 this year). Jim, of course, is the genius behind the Orient Express, Harry's Bar, Cipriani's and many of the great hotels around the world, and his wife Shirley is responsible for the magnificent new Gallery of Botanical Art in Kew Gardens. Christopher Buxton is clearly a man who likes to put one under pressure, as he phoned me at 8.10am yesterday morning to ask if I would make the speech proposing the health of Jim, and then threw in the fact that John Julius Norwich would be the other speaker. I spent a couple of hours preparing, which caused Mary and me to be 20 minutes late, but fortunately everyone was still having drinks, and indeed two guests arrived later than us.
When the lunch was over, we turned on the tv to see what was happening at Wimbledon between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Nadal had won the first 2 sets and looked pretty sure to win the Championship in straight sets, when the rain came. We arrived back in London just in time - at least one person was thankful for the rain - to see them return to court, and Federer win the tie-break to make it two sets to one The next two sets are now history, and I agree with Sue Barker when she said that it was one of the great finals of all time. In fact Federer's return of service to save a championship point reminded everyone that he wasn't simply going to roll over and give the trophy away. At seven all, I thought to hell with this, neither man deserved to lose, give them both the trophy, but real life continued and we surely have an outstanding new champion. I switched tv channels to learn that Lewis Hamilton had won the British Grand Prix and gone to number one in the championship table. Other than the weather, a pretty good weekend.
When the lunch was over, we turned on the tv to see what was happening at Wimbledon between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Nadal had won the first 2 sets and looked pretty sure to win the Championship in straight sets, when the rain came. We arrived back in London just in time - at least one person was thankful for the rain - to see them return to court, and Federer win the tie-break to make it two sets to one The next two sets are now history, and I agree with Sue Barker when she said that it was one of the great finals of all time. In fact Federer's return of service to save a championship point reminded everyone that he wasn't simply going to roll over and give the trophy away. At seven all, I thought to hell with this, neither man deserved to lose, give them both the trophy, but real life continued and we surely have an outstanding new champion. I switched tv channels to learn that Lewis Hamilton had won the British Grand Prix and gone to number one in the championship table. Other than the weather, a pretty good weekend.



4 Comments:
There's a brilliant little scene towards the end of the second-last act of Prisoner of Birth, which makes the reader very aware that the author knows he has (superbly) constructed 'an entertainment' rather than a bone-dry realist tale of legal matters.
I was reminded of the scene last night while watching the magnificent tennis alongside my brothers; and one of them said, "If he had put this on the page, not even Lord A would have get away with such an incredible finale" and I have to admit; it would be a tough call............
Hello Jeffrey
The tennis was fantastic and agree a draw would have been a just result.
It showed that there is a massive gulf in class between these two and our only hope, Andy Murray. I fear he will never win Wimbledon with them in his way.
Kind regards
David
"Mary and me to be...late" would be more grammatical, sir.
I love your books , but...
Post a Comment
<< Home