Yesterday I did the first of three auctions in a row this week - tonight it's for Josh Lewsey and his three charities, and tomorrow evening for Lawrence Dallaglio on behalf of the Oxford Radcliffe Hospital.
Last night's event was at the IOD (Institute of Directors) on Pall Mall. What a magnificent building, and one that I haven't auctioned in before. I was there to support St Michael's Hospice and the auction raised £32,500.
Among the guests was that football legend, Sir Tom Finney, who played for England on 76 occasions and scored 30 goals. He reminded me that his wage for Preston North End at the peak of his career was £12 a week during the winter, and £10 a week during the summer. And although the Italians offered him a £10,000 transfer fee, with £30,000 to Preston North End and a salary of £120 a week, all the chairman said was, "It's not going to happen lad, get your boots on."
Last night's event was at the IOD (Institute of Directors) on Pall Mall. What a magnificent building, and one that I haven't auctioned in before. I was there to support St Michael's Hospice and the auction raised £32,500.
Among the guests was that football legend, Sir Tom Finney, who played for England on 76 occasions and scored 30 goals. He reminded me that his wage for Preston North End at the peak of his career was £12 a week during the winter, and £10 a week during the summer. And although the Italians offered him a £10,000 transfer fee, with £30,000 to Preston North End and a salary of £120 a week, all the chairman said was, "It's not going to happen lad, get your boots on."



2 Comments:
Mr. Archer,
Would like to hear Sir Tom Finney's opinion about the situation at Manchester and the melle created by that Portuguese guy.
I am a big fan of yours. Finished The Prisoner of Birth couple of weeks back. The story is good, though not in the same heights as Kane and Abel, (know that you think the other way around), but the ending is fantastic.
I'm yet to read the False Impression, the only one i have not touched from you marvelous collection.
Saw the interview of yours during your recent visit to this part of the world.
Hoping to read many more of your novels and short stories.
Mr. Archer, this comment does not relate to your latest blog. But just wanted to write and let you know how much I have loved all your books over the years. I live in Canada but grew up in Southampton England. At present I am reading the last in the Prison Diary trilogy. I Love Love Love them all, although I understand this was the worst experience of your life , I feel we as your readers got to know the real YOU. Thank you for the experience you give us your readers through all your books... I always wait in anticipation for the next one to come out. So hey stop reading this and start writing... Yours Claire Herauf Calgary Alberta Canada.
Post a Comment
<< Home