Header
Header
Header
 


09 June 2008

Round Two

Travelled up to Burford on Saturday morning to view the excellent On Form Sculpture Exhibition at Asthall Manor, home of some of the Mitfords. This was the 4th annual exhibition and there were some quite outstanding examples of stone and marble sculptures. I particularly liked Emma Maiden's Wise Owl and Madonna, as well as Helaine Blumenfeld's vast siting pieces. By the time we left for Oxford, the grounds were packed but one of the main attractions was the pocket handkerchief tree - I'd never heard of such a tree before - which was shedding its last massive white leaves. I casually asked the organisers if I could grow one in Grantchester, and they replied, "Sure, but it usually takes a thousand years before you get any real results." So I settled for a sculpture.

In the evening, Mary and I went to Wadham College for a fund-raising dinner in support of the cancer unit at the Radcliffe Hospital; Mary is of course the Chairman of Addenbrooke's, their Cambridge opposite number. David Duckham, that great Lions centre, was our compere while the guest of honour was Lawrence Dallaglio who gave forthright opinions on Martin Johnson, Sir Clive Woodward and Brian Ashton. He was clearly riding on a well-deserved high after winning the cup final against Leicester last week. The auction raised £30,000, and having done 3 auctions this week, I was once again reminded how many good causes rely on the support of hundreds of local people to ensure they can keep their head above water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home