Header
Header
Header
 


10 June 2008

On The Town

A busy evening began with a visit to The Chris Beetles Summer Show which always starts a week after the RA. It's full of little gems from Goodwin to Badmin to Lichfield, and there's a wonderful Sydney Harpley of Girl on a Swing. If you're coming up to town to see the RA Summer Exhibition, Chris Beetles' gallery is only 100 yards south in Ryder Street. Go and enjoy it.

Mary and I went on to Michael and Carolyn Portillo's summer party which this year was held in the grounds of the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. Michael and Carolyn select a different venue each year, which is part of the fun. Two things came as a bit of a shock: a lawn full of guests with very few politicians, old or new, and our host had lost 3 stone, making me feel a bit guilty that I'm still a few pounds overweight.

We went on to dine with Naresh and Sunita Kumar at Mosimann's and enjoyed one of the finest meals I can remember - smoked salmon, risotto, Welsh lamb and Anton's own version of a creme brulee (deadly). Among the guests was that legendary Indian cricketer, the Nawab of Pataudi, and their leading artist, M F Husain, who if he is nearly a 100, acts like a 50 year old. Sitting opposite me was Ted Dexter, the former England captain. When asked how much he was paid as captain of England, he replied, "Nothing. In fact in those days you ended up out of pocket if you captained England." It reminded me that Paul Collingwood will receive £430,000 this year. Sir Tom Finney, who I talked about in my blog last week, and Ted Dexter come from a different era. Ted's theory is that it all began with the advent of colour TV when sponsors suddenly discovered they could sell their products via sportsmen, and it's just grown bigger and bigger. Where will it end? Will someone write a blog in a 100 years time saying poor old Ronaldinho, he only got £200,000 a week, how did he manage to survive?

I'm off to write the 8th draft of Paths of Glory, so there will be no blogs for the next 3 weeks. Talk to you when I'm back.

6 Comments:

Blogger Falcon said...

Dear Sir Archer,

Its my first visit to your blog and I must compliment that your eye to detail the enviorn is immense.

I want you to know, as I write my 9th short story (which I will publish in the near future) that you inspire my style of writing.

It will be a pleasure to hear from you. I am sure that you get millions of such requests, however, it will be an honour
if you do choose to reply.

Best for the draft

Yours Aye

Rahul Malhotra

P.S. Am sharing a quote that I gain inspiration from to fire this salvo into the dark of the cyber world.

You are what are deep driving desire is, as your desire is so is your will, as your will is, so is your deed, as your deed is, so is your destiny : Bagwad Gita

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No blogs for the next 3 weeks?
Are you kidding me?

Dont you know we need our daily dosage?:P

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you do not look the slightest bit overweight whilst Michael does seem a bit porky. So there you are.

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading Kane and Abel for the 2nd time in 20 years and it's still brilliant. Thank you Mr Archer.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Sir Archer,
I am Aishwarya Varadarajan from Bangalore, India. i am 17yrs old.
In case you have not received my mail i sent to questions@jeffreyarcher.co.uk, please take time to read this...
It was an honour to read your latest work.
I never missed any of your interviews...i agree with you that Energy is important for any person.
I was inspired to appreciate the smallest pleasures of life even more and also to never give up in the most adverse situations after listening to you...
I am lucky to have had the opportunity to read your books...

It would be a great honor to hear from you...
Thanks for making my day and giving me the time of my life with your book...
Eagerly waiting for your next book...
Your Loyal fan,
Aishwarya

7:36 AM  
Blogger prince roogus said...

Dear Sir Archer,

I am a great fan of yours and wanted to know, if you will permit me to make a film inspired by your great novel, Not a penny more not a penny less in hindi.

Awaiting to hear from you

Pankaj Acharya
purplepankaj@gmail.com

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home