Went to see Pygmalion at The Old Vic last night, which I don't think I've ever seen on the stage before. Of course I'd seen My Fair Lady two or three times, both on stage with Julie Andrews and on the screen with Audrey Hepburn. So every few minutes I expected them to burst into song, especially when Tim Pigott-Smith playing Henry Higgins, says, "I've grown accustomed to her face." The play was in 5 acts - who would write a 5 act play today? - with an interval between acts 3 and 4. I'm not sure they didn't have intervals between every act in 1916.
To the play itself. A strong cast from major to minor, with particularly fine performances from Tony Haygarth as Alfred Doolittle, Barbara Jefford as Mrs Higgins and Emma Noakes playing the thankless part of Clara Eynsford Hill. The play's run has been extended to 9th August, and is well worth a visit.
To the play itself. A strong cast from major to minor, with particularly fine performances from Tony Haygarth as Alfred Doolittle, Barbara Jefford as Mrs Higgins and Emma Noakes playing the thankless part of Clara Eynsford Hill. The play's run has been extended to 9th August, and is well worth a visit.



1 Comments:
Oh. It's my all-time favourite movie! Too bad they haven't staged the original play in my country as yet.
Post a Comment
<< Home