Arrived at the airport to find one of the Twenty20 teams, the Bangalore Royal Challengers, were on their way to play their next game. Martin Crowe, the former captain of New Zealand, is the manager of the team, and as he played for Somerset for many years he came across to have a chat. He took me across to see Rahul Dravid who I'd recently had dinner with in London. He in turn introduced me to India's captain, Anil Kumble. Mr Kumble stared at me in a blank way and then took out his mobile phone and began dialling a number. When the call was answered, he said, "He's standing in front of me," and then passing the phone to me, said, "would you be kind enough to have a word with my wife, she's a huge fan." I had a chat to Mrs Kumble, who seemed to have read every word I've ever written, and we agreed that when they were both next in London I'd take them out to lunch. The striking thing about both Dravid and Kumble is not their filmstar looks, but their quiet dignity in the face of a vast crowd trying to touch them. I left them, wondering how England were doing...not very well, my minder told me; we were over 100 runs short after the first innings total and at one point looking like we might even have to follow on.
I'd already received warnings by email that Bangalore was determined to out-do Mumbai, and I confess that when I arrived I was lost for words. The crowd had already spilled out onto the pavement and the bookshop had over 1500 people waiting inside. The welcome was incredible, and The Times of India the next day described it as a rock concert, with people swaying in the aisles. I was surprised and delighted to find Mr R K Laxman, the great Indian cartoonist (The Times of India) sitting in the front row with his wife. Mr Laxman is of course the brother of R K Narayan, who has kept me glued to the page for the past week, and he was gracious and generous, giving me a coffee table book of his work which I shall take back to Cambridge. After my talk, during Q&A a lady asked me why I bothered to come to India when the book was already No.1 and had been for the past 10 weeks. I replied that if she was an author, flew to London and then they took her out to Romford to find 1,500 waiting in a WHSmith, I guess she'd want to make the trip. I signed 794 books and was so exhausted I was almost carried out of the building. A night I will not forget for the rest of my life.
I slept until 8 the next morning, and was just about ready for my first interview at 10am - the first of five interviews before departing for Chennai, which of course as a schoolchild I remember as Madras. The routine is now falling into place; interviews, followed by lunch, followed by the airport, new hotel, then talk and signing. People in Chennai are as warm and friendly as in every city, and once again they spilled out of the room and onto the pavement. When I arrived back in the hotel, Landmark had kindly lined up a small dinner party for me, and I was able to discuss with senior members of the team my plans for the next book. They invited me to return next year to open their brand new Landmark bookstore in Calcutta, and also visit Hyderabad which couldn't be fitted in on this trip. They've already had requests for me to return to Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore, and are currently working on a new programme for this time next year. As my new book, Paths of Glory, (probably to be published in March next year), is the story of an Englishman who visits India three times, they were particularly keen to take advantage of the fact that it will be my first novel where India gets more than a passing mention. I have no idea how all this will work out, but will keep you informed.
On Sunday, I did 8 interviews before taking a break to watch the England v New Zealand match on tv in my hotel. We're in real trouble, and I can't see a way out. Indeed, several Indians took the opportunity to point out that I would arrive back in England just in time to see us thrashed by the New Zealanders. In the evening, Landmark laid on what they described as a select dinner for a few friends and supporters that numbered a mere 300. Among them, that wonderful tennis player and charming man, Vijay Amritraj, but the cameras really started flashing when the Bollywood star Shriya Saran came up to have her book signed. Shriya then dashed off as she had to be on set at 5am the next morning, which made me feel a little guilty about any suggestion that I'd been experiencing tough hours.
Only had 4 hours sleep because of an early flight back to London the following morning. I groaned when I heard it would be a 10 hour journey, but can't complain because I fell asleep and didn't wake for 6 hours. Although I was looking forward to returning to my homeland and getting back to work on the new book, the last 10 days has been among the most exciting and worthwhile in my life. It's been a great privilege to see a little of India and to be given such a warm and friendly welcome wherever I went. I have no doubt that I will be returning again. When I arrived back in London, it was raining and a driver was waiting for me with a card saying 'Archer'. No rock star welcome here.
One thing I truly miss when I'm away is the theatre, and I immediately booked to see That Face at the Duke of York's. That evening I parked my car on a single yellow line by the side of a goods entrance. As I was locking the door, a large vehicle came out of the entrance, so it was clear it wasn't in any one's way. I went off to see the show - which has received wonderful reviews, although perhaps the story of a disfunctional family was not what I needed on my return from India. When I came out (it was still raining) my mini was gone. It had been towed away. I must be back in England.



17 Comments:
Sir, i must say I am extremely honoured to meet u while u were here in Chennai.(have even put up the pic i took with u in it in my blog http://karthikmurali.blogspot.com)
My only wish in my life was to meet Sachin Tendulkar,Steven Spielberg & U.
And i couldnt believe myself when a part of it actually came true..
and also the speech u gave is one of the finest speeches i ever heard.
I have read every single novel and short story of urs , and jus waiting for ur next book.
and i must point out one small error.Shriya is a Kollywood Heroine(which means shes an actress in Tamil Films, and not a Bollywood actress :) )
Thank u sir..
karthik murali - many thanks for pointing this out - I'd never heard the term 'Kollywood'.
In way you were correct Sir. She has also acted in Hindi films(bollywood)...Kollywood is nothing but tamil film industry. She has acted more tamil films than Hindi films. Bollywood Kollywood are all spin offs of Hollywood. Lovely Blog sir. Please keep the blog updated. Iam yet to read your new book but will certainly do so.
Sir,
the Hindi Film Industry is termed Bollywood
The Tamil Film Industry is called Kollywood,
Telugu Industry as Tollywood ..
The unknown fact is ,there are equal no of tamil films being released compared to Hindi ,and some far better and bigger than any Hindi Movie..
Am also glad that England manged to pull it off by a great victory :)
Jus a lil worried , that people have almost glued in to IPL , and have stopped seeing test matches, be it Aus Vs WI or Eng Vs NZ, which they did in earlier times
Dear Mr. Archer,
I was so depressed that i could not get to see you on this trip of yours to India.I really love your work.'A Matter of Honor' was my first book almost 10 years ago.I was so sad that thinking i may never get a chance to see you in my life. But after reading this post of yours i am dancing with joy.Please please please please do come next year. I will be waiting for you Mr. Archer.I am as excited as if you were coming tomorrow!
Hello Jeffrey
Welcome home...how pathetic getting your mini lifted...bet you it makes feel like going straight back to India!
Anyway, I really enjoyed your most interesting blogs of your tour.
Kind regards
David
Hi! Jeff. I too was one of the lucky ones to meet you in Chennai. Landmark's ACs were working relentlessly to cool the crowd but in vain. You were ambushed in every single place in India,weren't you?
I have read every word that you have written,"As the crow flies" made me cry, it is one of the finest love stories I have read.
Bring Mary the next time to see how popular Jeff is here. And mind you, I haven't ever been to see a Bollywood/Kollywood hero in flesh and blood,but I had to come to see you. Afer all your writing has given me hours of joy. happiness and insight into people's mentality , for that I am grateful to you. Bye Jeff ,keep blogging.
Dear Mr.Jeffrey,
I am glad to know that your next story will be happening in India. We are anxious for the release of the book. Chennai is considered to be the Intelligent Capital of India. Here in this southern province, people are good mannered and highly educated. You may like to know that Chennaiites rule almost all the IT Companies of USA.!! Please release your next book at your earliest, Sir,
(ravi815@rediffmail.com)
Dear Jeffrey,
I am a big fan of yours. I missed your Indian tour as I didn't know about it. Did you stopover at Delhi also? I am based in a town called Gurgaon which is close to delhi.
I have been reading your books since you started writing them and have all your books in my collection excpt for your prison diaries (I was wondering why I havnt bought them as yet?). I will get them too.
I have always been a fan of yours and always will be. Hope to meet you when you are in India again.
By the way I have 2 favourite authors from England (Yourself and James Herriot). and I love both your works.
my email id is vikimatt@yahoo.com
Best Regards,
Vikram Sahay Mathur
sir, i really hope that you would come again to chennai. i missed meeting you or at least catching a glimpse of you when you were here this time. tough luck. do come again. i am a huge fan of your work n thanks to my father, who is an avid reader, i've read most of your books. i'm waiting for my exams to get over so that i can read your latest.
wish you the very best in life sir.
thank you for being such a great story-teller.
Hello Sir,
I must tell you that I was in Chennai Landmark last week. Sir, your speech was absolutely splendid. I can never forget the words and the way you had said them all.
I had always wanted to meet you because I consider you as the God of Writing. I mean every word of that, sir.
This is my blog
www.sunofthedark.blogspot.com
I have written about how I came to see you that day and various things that occurred that elated me. I really wish you would visit my blog and leave a comment there!! :)
And I have to tell you, sir, Kane and Abel is definitely the best book i have ever read so far in my life and I very strongly believe that it would stay so forever.
Thank you very much for visiting India. I am glad to know that you had memorable time here.
Looking forward for your next novel...
Suraj
Lord Archer,
Just a comment. Didn't Mr. Laxman meet you at Pune and not at Bangalore ? Just another helpful Indian nit picker :)
cheers
~r
Small tear flowed below my eyes when I read this, am an Indian, ardent fan of yours, just jealous my friends met you in Chennai, but I couldn't. Am in Dallas, TX, any plans of visiting the states Sir? If yes, please come somewhere in southwest region. I would not miss hearing you talk..
More often than not, we mistake un unreal life for the real. Check, if you can, if you returned from Osho Meditation Resort to real life or an unreal!
Jaideep
hello jeffrey,
I was wondering .. have you read the report of your visit to the osho resort? if you would like to it can be found here...
http://oshobytes.blogspot.com/2008/05/1-amrito-with-jeffrey-archer-in-oshos.html
in your comments about the resort
could you please explain what you meant by your comparrison/metaphor
when you said the osho resort is like an oasis in a jungle of people!
thankyou.
pantha.
Dear Sir,
May I kindly remind you that you met Mr.R.K.Laxman at Pune, and not Bangalore.
I stand the risk of being another of those 25% Indians who tend to point out your mistakes.
your faithful fan
Anuja
Sir,
It is great reading your blog and off course your books. I had been reading all that the print media told about you these days when you were in India. I only did not like your remark on Indian story-tellers, that the country lacks story-tellers. I think it is not so.
Post a Comment
<< Home