Header
Header
Header
 


18 April 2008

A woman of importance

It's always maddening when you want to go to two functions at the same time. I had invitations to attend the opening of the new Shirley Sherwood Gallery of Botanical Art at Kew Gardens as well as to a fundraising dinner at Lords for St Woolos Cathedral in Newport. I dashed off to Kew not quite sure what to expect, but should have realised that if Dr Shirley Sherwood was involved it would be well worth the visit. The architectural design of the gallery is magnificent, and allows one to look at the collection of drawings and watercolours in natural light. The evening was a triumph for Shirley and she should be rightly proud that in her lifetime she has gathered together - to quote the guest speaker, Sir David Attenborough - the finest collection of botanical drawings and watercolours in the world.

I had to dash off to my mini just as they sat down for dinner, in order to join Mary in the Long Room at Lords. The auction raised £12,250 for the cathedral appeal. Most of the guests, who had travelled up in coaches from Wales that afternoon to attend the function, then had to travel back down to Wales after the dinner. Poor things, I felt for them as I climbed into bed 30 minutes later.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey

This business with the V neck cricket jumpers being replaced by a fleece ? Yuk -imagine beefy Botham in a fleece oh dear !

"times they are a changing"
HH

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you make of the new Indian premier leagure cricket - will you catch a game while you are in India?

Rich

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey,
i would like you to know that i did enjoy reading your blog. May be one of your fans from Brunei Darussalam.

www.alongplanet.blogspot.com

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Archer:

I've always wanted to ask you: In the Prodigal Daughter did Edward arrange Richard's car crash and the President's death so he could marry Florentina??? It's not in the story but I always got that impression since it seemed a little too conveinient the only two obstacles to his dream are suddenly illiminated.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey

Hope you are not losing sleep over that John Prescott book launch

;-) HH

8:27 AM  
Blogger Marcela said...

Hi Jeffrey, this is just to thank you for mastery written, surprising and tasty stories in Twelve Red Herrings... real treats in a boring day.
greetings from Santiago, Chile
Marcela

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey
More cricket news this time they are changing the ball to
PINK ..
What will beefy say ?

Cripes...

HH

8:50 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - my Indian tour is just being finalised now, so I don't know if I'll catch any of the cricket - but I hope so!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

anonymous - to answer your question about 'The Prodigal Daughter', no, it wasn't my intention to imply that Edward arranged the car crash. Hope you enjoyed the story.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home