Australia was flat-out from the day I landed in Perth, with 7 tv interviews, 21 radio interviews, 7 press interviews, 6 speeches and 27 signings. The most memorable of the signings was in Sydney when I turned up at one venue to find more than 500 people in the queue and the store ran out of books. Another of the tour's highlights was a visit to the Philip Bacon Gallery in Brisbane where I purchased the most beautiful Arthur Boyd from the Shoalhaven series. When I later arrived in Melbourne I visited the National Gallery of Victoria to see 8 other large Shoalhaven paintings and still felt that I had purchased a remarkable picture. That evening, at a private dinner party, I was placed next to Ms Quentin Bryce, who was terrific company, witty and fun, without knowing that 3 days later she would be appointed Australia's first female Governor General. I am bound to say that the Australians are very lucky to have a remarkably talented woman representing them. There's an immense amount of talk here about Australia becoming a Republic in the not too distant future, and if that were to be the case, it wouldn't surprise me if Ms Bryce became their first president.
The 16 day tour ends in Adelaide this evening, and I'll be departing for England tomorrow - and so spending my entire birthday in mid-air. The Australians have kept the book at No.1 in hardback for 5 weeks, but the truth is that many of the books for sale in Australia are in what's called trade paperback format so in the long list I'm No.5 (at $50) with 4 trade paperbacks above me (at $30). I had one week at No.1, but go into trade paperback myself in July.
Macmillan's Australian team, led by Jeannine Fowler, have surpassed themselves.
Had a message from Macmillan this morning to say that A Prisoner of Birth is No.1 in Canada and also Audible.co.uk's No.1 download in April. Back on Wednesday with a hectic fortnight ahead of me before flying to India next month for another tour. I guess that will be very different to Australia and America. Thank you for all your generous emails which I will try to respond to as soon as I get back.
The 16 day tour ends in Adelaide this evening, and I'll be departing for England tomorrow - and so spending my entire birthday in mid-air. The Australians have kept the book at No.1 in hardback for 5 weeks, but the truth is that many of the books for sale in Australia are in what's called trade paperback format so in the long list I'm No.5 (at $50) with 4 trade paperbacks above me (at $30). I had one week at No.1, but go into trade paperback myself in July.
Macmillan's Australian team, led by Jeannine Fowler, have surpassed themselves.
Had a message from Macmillan this morning to say that A Prisoner of Birth is No.1 in Canada and also Audible.co.uk's No.1 download in April. Back on Wednesday with a hectic fortnight ahead of me before flying to India next month for another tour. I guess that will be very different to Australia and America. Thank you for all your generous emails which I will try to respond to as soon as I get back.



11 Comments:
On the subject of tours and publicity, I recall having an interesting conversation with a former publicist from Warner Bros based in London.
One of his fondest memories was being PA to the brilliant and very cultured actor Gene Hackman while he was acting in and promoting Superman The Movie.
Basically, the PA had exhaustively reseached London Art galleries to take Mr Hackman around, and the first thing Hackman allegedly asked on arrival at Heathrow was; "F-orget the National Gallery; take me to SOHO!"
And there, mischeviously, (rather than downright naughtily), he would always gleefully be.......
And all the while, the star's Studio allowance expedentially multiplied........
Happy Birthday for tomorrow Jeffrey I am sure my invite must be in the post ;-)it would come via T5...
HH
Happy Birthday Jezza
Great year for you
There's a new Krug £780 a glass let's have a couple and toast the Hacks who could not stop you bouncing back !!
Well done
Happy Birthday Jeffrey
Hope you have a fantastic celebration when you arrive back in dear old blighty!
Kindest regards
Rosemary
Happy birthday Jeff! You can buy me for $29.95 anytime ha ha! Hope you had a good stay in Melbourne, was lovely meeting you! x
Mr Archer,
It was a real highlight for me (& my training Guide Dog Puppy) to meet you outside Radio 5AA in Adelaide, South Australia.
Even if 'all' of your attention did go to the cheeky black labrador cross golden retriever known as 'Chester'.I'm sure you agree he's a real beauty! Perhaps I could send you some photos of him? You can contact me at the
Royal Society for the Blind in S.A. Perhaps you would like to sponsor him? Cheers Mate,
Thank you. MARK
It was a pleasure to hear Jeffrey
speak at a lunch in Brisbane Australia.
mark millington - I remember Chester very well! By all means drop me an email about his work for the Royal Society for the Blind - to questions@jeffreyarcher.co.uk
Dear Mr Archer,
It was very memorable meeting you with my two children at Rundle Mall, Adelaide. Henry has framed your autograph and Marie is just as thrilled with hers. Funny thing was that I had just told them about Jeffrey Archer, the author, the weekend before and it was Marie who noticed you as we passed Borders. To the question, 'How famous is Jeffrey Archer?' I told Henry, who is a comic collector, that you were as famous as Stan Lee, the creator of Spiderman and Marvel Universe. To Marie, I said you were almost as famous as Princess Diana. Thank you for taking the time to chat with us. You now have 2 new fans and supporters!
Hi Jeffrey,
I would be pressure to meet you when you are in India.
Do let us know your program...
Just finished 'A Prisioner of Birth' yesterday. Being your fan has made me unworthy to comment on your latest book. Just would like to add that for me even a shopping list you would make will be interesting to read.
One very touching moment in this book for me was when Beth's pawns her ring!
Keep writing!
Dear Mr Archer,
You are most WELCOME to India. I look forward to seeing you in Chennai. Hope you have some plans for public interaction. I am a deep admirer of your story telling capabilities and I have read all of your novels except your new release. I shall get it.
My best wishes are to a great author like you who made our lives interesting.
Regards
Post a Comment
<< Home