Header
Header
Header
 


04 April 2008

Australian road-trip

I arrived in Perth early on Wednesday morning, stepped off the plane and was driven straight round to a number of bookshops in the city to sign stock and to meet their owners and staff. It's always fascinating to listen to the publishing world's problems in another country. The interesting fact is that with 100,000 copies of A Prisoner of Birth out in hardback in Australia, it rather belies the suggestion that nobody is reading books these days. In the evening I had dinner with Patricia Rust at the Weld Club. Patricia was my secretary 30 years ago, and left me to return to her homeland where she headed up Malcolm Fraser's private office. At the dinner were several politicians from that era, who brought me up to date on what has happened since the Liberals (conservatives) lost the last election. The secretary of the club, Commander Richard Sherwood, gave me a guided tour of the remarkable indigenous art collection it has wisely built up over many years. The meal was the best I've had since leaving England, and the Australian Cabernet (1998) was superb. Still unable to sleep until 2am because of jet lag, which was a bit of a struggle as I had a 7am radio show the next morning.

Began the following morning with a phone-in radio show in Geelong (where Prince Charles spent a period of time at Grammar School), and then on to my next show which took place on a beach just outside Perth where a surfing championship was taking place. I was surrounded by 6ft 4" surf gods all trying to out-do each other. This, I was assured, is a regular Australian pastime, and it must have been a pretty serious event because the Minister of Sport later presented Gold, Silver and Bronze medals. My interview was fitted in between the semis and the final - not complaining - as they had one of the largest listening audiences that morning. As soon as it was over, back to the city to do an official signing at Borders. Australia is the last place on earth where official signings work. I spent 2 hours signing just over 230 books, and left only when there was no stock available. This compares to the US where one is lucky to get 25 in a queue, and in the UK where they've virtually stopped having signing sessions and you just sign stock. The hosts of the next show I did were extremely kind and had remembered my love of cricket. They had invited one of their distinguished cricket correspondents to do a five minute special in which McGrath, the great Australian fast bowler, bowled to me at Lords in the final Test, where I not only scored 200, but a six off the last ball of the match to win The Ashes. That's real fiction!

My final event of the day was a speech to 400 people at a dinner arranged by Dymocks and the West Australian. I also ended up conducting an auction. The editor of the paper had heard of a take-over attempt on his newspaper which means he could be out of a job in a few weeks, and I was very impressed at how cool he seemed to be by the whole situation. He was certainly far less nervous at what was going on in his life, than I was about having to make my speech.

Had the first full night's sleep since last Sunday. Off to Brisbane tomorrow, but will not be able to report again for a week, as my PA is taking a well-earned holiday.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to say Gordon Brown's book is on e bay for a Penny

Bet he wishes he could write like you ? or even survive like you ?

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey

Just a quick email to say thank you for a wonderful dinner in Perth last night – I enjoyed it very much and I’m glad I finally got to catch you in Australia.

I left you with a contact card regarding the expedition I’m doing with Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Dr Mike Stroud in 2012 in order to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the death of Robert Falcon Scott and his men. If you’re interested in the expedition drop me an email and I’ll send you some further information including the press releases that went out late last year.

Jason

11:57 PM  
Blogger Anju Chandel said...

Dear Jeffrey,

Hope 'Prisoner of Birth' is out in India as well.

Your 'Prodigal Daughter' is certainly the most relevant book these days as Hillary Clinton fights her way to the White House. However, I support Barack Obama primarily because of the fact that for a crucial position of the president of the US, the 'historical' factors like being first 'female' or 'African-American' candidate, etc. should never be the criteria. May the Best person win!

Best wishes for success of your new book!

8:22 PM  
Blogger sewsusan said...

Every success with A Prisoner Of Birth in Australia. I have been an avid reader all my life and I wanted you to know how much I thoroughly enjoyed this title. From beginning to end and every page in between. I couldn't wait to finish it but never wanted it to end. You truly are an amazing writer. Thank you.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Serene said...

Hi,

I went to your signing session in Borders in Perth, Australia. I have a few of your books, and I love them very much. The stories were excellent which sent my adrenaline flow everytime I read it, I cannot put the book down! You can imagine how excited I was when I heard you were coming to Perth. Worth skipping lectures for. *coughs* Take care. And good luck with the sales!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well earned sleep?

With all this frenetic exertion, I hope you wake-up.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

That's weird what you say about signing sessions... I remember being in a bookshop where this poor old man had a table to himself and his fishing book and NOBODY even realized a "signing" was going on... staff passed by periodically to reassure him "it's so often like this"... I was in no position to make a sympathy buy; but would have done had I had the funds!

Children's author Jackie Wilson came to our local Waterstones some years ago ~ man! the queues you would not believe, literally 100s of yards down the street... surely YOU of all people can attract something similar, Lord A? C'mon!

May your PA have happy hols: where's she/he going? Sydney? the Barrier Reef?...??

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Archer! Can't wait to see you in Melbourne!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Rob Macpherson said...

Hello Jeffrey - I picked up "A Prisoner of Birth" just yesterday in preparation of hopefully meeting you in Melbourne tomorrow
(11/4/2008) and have not been able to put the book down - it must be one of your best books. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy your short time here in Australia.
Best wishes,
Rob (Melbourne)

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey, loved your interview on 9am with David & Kim on TEN, I'm sure they would have loved to interview you all morning. Would love to attend one of your book signings, perhaps next time you could do some larger regional Australian towns, (combine it with a holiday?) Enjoy your stay in Australia.

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey,
Watched your interview with Kerrie Anne and 9am with David & Kim. The David and Kim interview was by far the better one and it seemed to rev you up a bit. It came across as a fun interview and you seemed to enjoy it! And I enjoyed listening and laughing too! Pity TV interviews are too short! Hope you enjoy what Melbourne has to offer, especially the great restaurants, great wines, theatres that are on offer, just to name a few delights. All the best Viv Melbourne

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of yours. I'm reading Prisoner of Birth and I keep looking back as if I missed soemthing. I'm at the part where he escapes from jail. I can't figure out why people can't tell Nicholas from Danny. If this is explained later in the book ok, if I missed something please let me know. thank you

3:39 PM  
Blogger Rob Macpherson said...

Hello Jeffrey,
I have just had the pleasure of meeting you for the first time in Melbourne Australia (11/04/2008) - I was the first in line. Thank you once again for signing my book. As I said I am thoroughly enjoying it and am looking forward to see what happens next.
Best wishes and safe travels.
Robert Macpherson
Melbourne Australia

3:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Back
Hope you had a good time Jeffrey and Alison is rested too..

HH

2:35 PM  
Blogger Johnny Norfolk said...

Its all very interesting. You sound like you are enjoying it all despite the jet lag.

thanks for taking the trouble in keeping us informed.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stopping by to say hello.
I like all your books. Especially As the crow flies & Kane and Abel.
I would also like to wish you a happy birthday !
Happy Birthday Mr Archer and I wish you many happy returns

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear sir,

Managed to find time to pick up a copy of your book at Borders Perth that day. It was great meeting you again. Caught you the last time you came as well in Book City Melbourne. Hope you will continue writing these awesome books (been reading your books since I was 14) and do visit Australia again (if you can swing it, pls visit my home country Malaysia) :)

Happy Birthday and many Happy Returns

CP Yeo
Perth, Aust

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home