I opened up the Chicago leg of the tour with an interview with Milt Rosenberg, an old-fashioned Republican who wants Senator McCain to be the next President. After him, I went on to the Mancow Muller show that runs for two hours. The subject under discussion changes every few minutes - from Barack Obama to gun control to Irish folk singing to drugs. Mancow is one of the sharpest interviewers I've ever met, and treats his guests much in the way Dame Edna treats her victims, which is why the show is such a huge success and syndicated to 21 cities. I made the foolish mistake of saying I had never understood why the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution couldn't be re-written, banning hand-guns, and I had to remain on for the full 2 hours to explain my ridiculous position to those phoning in from the Wild West. No complaints though, as Mancow was kind enough to mention A Prisoner of Birth every few moments.
The other subject that dominated the programme and indeed discussion in America, was Obama's speech on race relations. The New York Times this morning describes it as faultless, and have compared it to Lincoln's speech on slavery and Kennedy's on segregation. I certainly get the feeling that I had when I was at Oxford some 40 years ago that they feel they've found the new John Kennedy. There are many who are worried about Obama's lack of policies (experience) and about some of his friends and supporters, but the general feeling is that he is going to beat Mrs Clinton for the Democratic nomination, although it still could be very close right up to the last moment.
This morning I'm off to Toronto on the last leg of the North American tour, and will report back on Tuesday.
The other subject that dominated the programme and indeed discussion in America, was Obama's speech on race relations. The New York Times this morning describes it as faultless, and have compared it to Lincoln's speech on slavery and Kennedy's on segregation. I certainly get the feeling that I had when I was at Oxford some 40 years ago that they feel they've found the new John Kennedy. There are many who are worried about Obama's lack of policies (experience) and about some of his friends and supporters, but the general feeling is that he is going to beat Mrs Clinton for the Democratic nomination, although it still could be very close right up to the last moment.
This morning I'm off to Toronto on the last leg of the North American tour, and will report back on Tuesday.



12 Comments:
I had never understood why the 2nd Ammendment to the Constitution couldn't be re-written, banning hand-guns,
And I, by contradistinction, will never understand why English criminal law should not get rid of a requirement that anyone in a public place is obliged to try and run away if threatened, rather than sanction the right to bear arms in order that we may protect ourselves.
We defend ourselves because we have a natural right to do so.
It is a marvellous parable on the closeness of reason and insanity, civility and delinquency, that the great English privilege of Habeas Corpus and trial by jury, shields the offender while you and I are left to the medieval savagery of the aberrant villain.
Dreamy
Given the proliferation of divertions available in the USA, and the continual monumental publicity for every new attraction, you can't help but admire the energy the author has brought to this campagn.
I am mid-way though a magnificent book on Lincoln, and in some ways, the old boy's career parallels that of Senator Ob. Experience wasn't everything in Lincoln's case, and I am starting to believe that something similar is happening in 2008.
A Happy Easter to all.
Thank you for a wonderful evening at the Chicago borders last night. I know the crowd was quite small, unfortunately here they do not advertise Author signings as well as could be done. As far as the 2nd amendment, I'm with you. There should be a prominent need for a gun, which is a privilege like driving, and not a right like freedom of speech. happy travels!
Telling The Wild West that handguns should be banned because they can be dangerous to the innocent is like telling hillbillies that moonshine can harm their brains even more than the birth defects they are so prone to.
Obama is filling the void in American politics that was created when Kennedy was assassinated and made deeper when the Bushes were elected.
Tim Walker
"I always think of the story of the tortoise and the hare when I think of Mary and me," he says. "Just when I was starting to think I was doing rather well with the sales of my new book she comes along and effortlessly overtakes me."
So Michael Grade can we have the film now please this couple will make great telly ...Forget Heather Mills concentrate on high achievers
Boring. Me, me, me. Oh, and Jeffrey - you can't spell 'amendment'. Which school was it you lied about going to again?
Personally would u prefer Barack Obama , jeff ? I absolutely feel hes a guy who can come close to JFK
Hrushit
thank you for another spellbinding story-- you never dissapoint your reader--- you write the kind of story i don't want to put down at the same time i don't want it to
end
margaret docherty
n.c usa-- formerly scotland
Oh please it has to be Hillary not Obama. His Martin Luther King style speeches are most impressive but lacking in real substance. At least we get the impression (well I do) that Hillary is qualified in stateswomanship and has fulfilled a position in public life for many years and will (if given the chance) lead the country well... Also I'd just love to see Bill Clinton as America's first gentleman!
Dreamy;
This could be a load of absolute driffle, (is contradistinction a word? It must be, I read your blog.) but anyway, to thread the needle of your argument, I understand it's still legally possible to bump off a person with a cross-bow, from the medieval ramparts of the old walls of Nottingham, because of some antiquated law that hasn't been nullified.
Should you ever be chastised by a brigand in that town, I hope this would be useful.............
anonymous - I agree with your comments on Lincoln. Best wishes.
Dear Jeffrey (or Lord Archer)
Idea for a new book by you.
Lord gets caught up in a story which has its basis in the very fabric of the British Empire and is forced to live a life that is linked to this story till it dawns on him what the connection is.
Archer Arrow Straight as a dye.
or not.
Why not base it at Wentworth Woodhouse Rotherham Fitz William Hagues home town.
Post a Comment
<< Home