Header
Header
Header
 


05 March 2008

Start the week...

It's a hectic week. Monday began with having to go to my publishers to sign another 600 books because the demand has been so high. Arrived back in time to change before going on to the Donmar theatre to see The Man Who Had All the Luck - Arthur Miller's first play. Although it felt like a first play, and originally closed in New York some 60 years ago after only 6 nights, it didn't leave you in any doubt that this man was going to deliver plays of the quality of Death of a Salesman, The Price and All My Sons in the future. The acting was of the usual high standard one has grown to expect from the Donmar, and for genuine theatre buffs this is an evening you shouldn't miss.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know that play was showing, it would be worth comparing with the below;

In 2006, Arthur Miller's last effort, a satire called Resurrection Day was at the Old Vic. To be honest it was so-so despite a talented cast, but the quality and lucidity of the line of debate was pretty amazing, considering the writer's age and health.

And at the end of the performance, who should come on-stage to say his farewells before the flight home to New York but the director, Robert Altman.

He didn't look too-well, and like a lot of great artists, looked like he had been relucantly forced on stage to receive the adulation, but applause he certainly and deservedly got.......


I don't expect this amendum will be included, but I've just recalled this bizzare and true tale;

None of the bars in the theatre that night had milk to make patrons coffee, so I - a simple theatrelover - offered to go to the lower-bar beside the stalls, and then deliver milk in a six litre tub to the other bars.

At the end of the interval, I returned to my seat with my free and deserved coffee, and a beautiful girl tapped on my shoulder, I turned around, and the conversation went thus;

LADY; "Did I see you delivering milk to
the bar?"

ME; (Proudly) "Yes, ALL of them"

LADY: "Well, you might like to know that I was just chatting to Johnny Depp and he mentioned you"

ME: (Feigning modesty) "Oh, I'm just a guy who wanted to help, it was nothing, etc-etc"

LADY; "Er.......all he asked me was; "JUST WHO THE *U** WAS THAT OLD SILVER HAIRED DAIRY MAID????????"

How dare he call a spry 39 year old, OLD...........I'm younger than HIM........

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home