Header
Header
Header
 


17 March 2008

Number One in Australia

Arrived in New York on Friday afternoon, and was whisked straight into the city to do Fox News. Although they seemed more interested in the Governor's problems, they were kind enough to make the occasional reference to A Prisoner of Birth. The next 48 hours passed in a whirlwind of TV, radio and press interviews, ending with an on-line piece for the Wall Street Journal. Arrived in Miami on Sunday to find my room at The National Hotel wouldn't be ready until late afternoon at the same time as I had to make a speech and do a book signing. So I walked across the road and booked myself into the Loews Hotel who could accomodate me immediately. My 4pm event was attended by over 200 people, and I signed for over an hour. Back at my hotel later I received a message from London to say A Prisoner of Birth had gone to No.1 in the hardback fiction Bestseller list in Australia. I sat in my hotel room alone and celebrated with a lamb chop. I had intended to go out, but lay down on my bed at 9pm for a brief rest, and didn't wake up until 3am. Just off to do local TV and will report in tomorrow.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey
You bounced back
Andrew Pierce did a great write up on you and gave a platform for comments judging by the comments you have everyone supporting you
Well done old bean and btw I love
shepherd's pie and Krug

Waves hand across face ..

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It annoys me a little that someone who canvases their case (in this instance, a novel) so brilliantly, is not fully involved in the political arena.

Despite recent heinous governmental policys, I remain rabidly Labour, but I also hope, in the fullness of time, that someone so articulate and sadly accurate about the penal system, can, in a Tory administration, make - at the very least - some form of consultative difference........

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Prisoner of Birth entered the N.Y Times Bestseller list at #7 and I am sure it is expected to move up.

People are lining up to borrow my copy of A Prisoner of Birth but I told them to get their own copy and to lend the book might even be considered morally wrong since it is a type of file sharing. But isn’t that what libraries do, they said.

On to another point, I am sure there would be a more massive lineup at Barnes and Noble if Oprah says she reads Jeffery Archer. I wonder what would happen if Sachin Tendulkar says he looks at Oprah?

Good luck on your US book tour.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeffrey.

Richard from Bristol here. I just wanted to say that the two best interviews I have seen/heard of you so far are the Wall Street Journal interview and the Hour (Canadian) interview. Both seemed to have asked far more interesting questions than the interviews I have seen that originate here in the UK - where they seem a bit more interested in trying to embarass you a little and go over old ground.

Best of luck with your Indian launch and tour.

Regards

Richard

6:42 PM  
Blogger lynn the spin said...

Absolutely brilliant!! What an inspiration. Mr Archer pulls on his inside knowledge of being an MP, an ex-con but most of all a superb writer, compelling his readers to keep reading to the very end. (including his blog at the end of the book). I have just finished my latest edition of Readers Digest Select Editions and if there are more J.A. books next time, bring it on!!!!

8:27 AM  
Blogger lynn the spin said...

Prisioner of Birth, brilliant! I am an avid reader and found this absolutely compelling, couldn't put it down until I'd finished the last page.
Drawing on life experiences as well as being a natural story teller this is a Must read. When is the film coming out?

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeffrey
It's Wednesday and I am reading Private Eye they have printed a very pleasant "Snipcock and Tweed" little cartoon..done in goog humour.
Sadly nothing from the blogging Cricks
I imagine they looking for a knive to cut that huge slice of humble pie theyare settling down to.
Your book has been so successful despite them obtaining a degree in putting the Archers down.The people have sought to be the jury in this case.

11:07 AM  
Blogger yasmin said...

Dear Jeffrey

I'm glad your book is doing very well.

Take care

yasmin
in memory of Charlie Rocket
http://www.myspace.com/132501307
19 march 08

2:30 PM  
Blogger Yvo said...

Your latest book, A Prisoner of Birth, was truly great as almost all your books have been - real page turners. The one exception was Fourth Estate in which I was disappointed. I highly recommend your books to everyone I can. But I do have a bone to pick with you. In A Prisoner of Birth, when you introduced Big Al to us, you resorted to crude language; which by the way, Big Al didn't use in the rest of the story. Also you used the name of Christ inappropriately. I believe both detracted from the story and I was disappointed you had felt it was necessary. I'm in a program at our local library in which we can sign up to adopt an author and sponsor their books. So since you are my favorite, and I do mean favortie, I adopted you. A sticker is put in the front of each book naming the sponsor. Please don't make me stop sponsoring you because of swearing and crude language. You are too good a story teller to resort to such - leave that to the 'B' writers. Looking forward to your next book.

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home