Header
Header
Header
 


12 March 2008

The Number One Bestseller

Every Tuesday, sometime between 2-4pm, publishers receive the Bookscan figures for the following week's Bestsellers list. As the official publication date for A Prisoner of Birth was Friday, and the list is calculated from Monday to Saturday night, my publishers were happily anticipating my book would enter the top 10 at around 7 or 8.

I was in the green room at the BBC yesterday afternoon waiting to go on the Alan Titchmarsh show, when the Managing Director of Macmillan rang through to tell me the list had just been announced, and that A Prisoner of Birth had gone to Number 1 after only two day's sales. To say that I was surprised would be an understatement. To say that I was thrilled would be accurate.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am about halfway through A Prisoner of Birth and this book is a masterpiece. already. I wish I didn't have to go to work today.

Congratulations and well done!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I just hope this opens the way for a completion of the Kane & Abel trilogy, (ok; a fourth chapter if you count the later editions of "President")

1:15 PM  
Blogger Raghu (a.k.a Salvatore)™ said...

My Lord,

Kudos on behalf of all your fans.

Still waiting to find it here in India. Looking forward to seeing you in May.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Archer said...

raghu - I've just had clarification on the Indian publication date from Macmillan. Apparently there has been a slight hold-up, but they anticipate the novel being in the shops around the 20th March. I will put an up-date on my website as soon as they confirm this date. Sorry you're having to wait. Best wishes.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Tuned into yesterday's Alan Titchmarsh show - interesting show & great stuff on how you made a difference to the life of an ex- mate/ex-prisoner; you are inspirational. Obviously the audience thought so too.

Congrats on the bestseller.

Sophia
x

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got the book and can't put it down! Can you please post the dates for your US speaking tour.

Best,

Jane

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your books some time ago. visting your blog is seremdipitous- a word with which your book begun.

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic news!! Number 1 Bestseller - it is no less than you deserve.

As Akalol says - It is hard to go to work, when you haven't finished the book. I am so near the end now - and I want to know the outcome, but don't want the book to end!

Well done

Rosemary

8:19 AM  
Blogger Vineet said...

Can't wait for 20th March then. I'm always the first to finish your book among my friends who are all your huge fans. Congratualtions for the bestseller, I know you deserve nothing less.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the new book One very big error---The King died on the 6th February 1952 and not the 2nd as stated in your book

12:05 PM  
Blogger AL said...

I am delighted to see your blog. Having read all your books, I somehow had missed out on this one. I have immediately placed an order online..but it says it will take them 3 days to ship.I don't think I can wait that long especially when a long weekend is coming up here in India. :)

Its been a long time since I have read any book and I thought I had lost the patience. But with you as the author, it wont take long to regain.

By the way, the site also says your book is the number one fiction seller.I guess this will be number 1 in India as well. Congratulations !!

7:16 AM  
Blogger AL said...

After requesting for an early shipment, I got the book on friday afternoon. Started reading it once I reached home, started reading it and as usual, was not let down. It was all over in a matter of 2 days as I tried to fit in my laundry and other weekend stuff apart from welcoming the (Indian) new year during the read.

Fantastic start for the new year ! Please let me know if you will be in Bangalore during your India tour. Would love to shake hands with you !!

Hope you enjoy your tour here and it inspires another novel ! :)

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you writing a sequel to "A Prisoner of Birth??

I enjoyed the book and wish to see where it goes.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home