After the two radio shows yesterday, Nicky Campbell and Steve Wright, I went on to do an informal signing session at Hatchards, surprised to find no copies of A Prisoner of Birth on sale. They reminded me courteously, that although there were some larger chains who had put copies out, official publication day is actually today, and they are not in the habit of breaking embargoes. Slap on the wrist. I then called into the Albermarle Gallery where I recently purchased a painting by Alexandre Monntoya. It's always thrilling for a collector to feel you've picked a new artist at the right time, and I was delighted to discover red dots on every one of his works, and the gallery's proprietor told me that Monntoya now has a long waiting list for his next exhibition.
Seven of Macmillan's team took me to Le Caprice for dinner last night, and presented me with a beautifully bound leather copy of A Prisoner of Birth. Over the years, my publishers have kindly given me a leather bound book on each publication day, with the exception of Not a Penny More, Not A Penny Less, my first effort. To be fair, Jonathan Cape only published 3,000 copies in hardback, and no doubt felt it was an unnecessary expense. However, they finally came up with one after Not A Penny had sold 3 million in soft back.
Off to be interviewd by David Frost for Al Jazeera TV.
Seven of Macmillan's team took me to Le Caprice for dinner last night, and presented me with a beautifully bound leather copy of A Prisoner of Birth. Over the years, my publishers have kindly given me a leather bound book on each publication day, with the exception of Not a Penny More, Not A Penny Less, my first effort. To be fair, Jonathan Cape only published 3,000 copies in hardback, and no doubt felt it was an unnecessary expense. However, they finally came up with one after Not A Penny had sold 3 million in soft back.
Off to be interviewd by David Frost for Al Jazeera TV.



14 Comments:
I must say, this Monntoya chap really is first rate. His mastery of light on the female form is second to none. An excellent recommendation, Jeffrey - here, here.
We can see you on the One Show tonight I think?
If I were the BBC Drama dept I would be bidding now !
Great piece for telly
mu tai dong - you can indeed. harriet hamster - let's hope so, many thanks!
Immediately I saw them I felt... Ingres.
Saw you on the One Show, thought it was a good interview. I was sad however that you allowed the view to go unchallenged that most of the people in prison are somehow different from everyone else, a criminal underclass if you like. You know that this is not true, people in prison are exactly like everyone else. True many of them are disadvantaged in one way or another but not different. There are far more people who have committed imprisonable crimes and not been caught than there are who have been caught. You only have to look at the statistics of the number of crimes solved to know that. That means there are far more criminals who are viewed as upright honest citizens than there are those who have been convicted. My point is however that you could have made the point that the people in prison are normal people and should be treated as such.
Monntoya rocks! Where do you find these people?
Watched the One Show and you were great but what a bonus it would have been if the presenters had actually read your book !and the link to the frog was toe curling !
HH
As dazzling an example of Classicist kitsch, as ever you've had the great fortune to come across, Jeff (no doubt owing to the combined effect of poor eyesight and good champagne).
Undressed, as for a momentous occasion, she awaits her lover like the Romans awaited the Carthaginians on their curule chair, albeit without much enthusiasm; or - in a famous incident - like Wellington awaited the Prussians at Waterloo...
...but in either case, an inspired tactical acquisition!
Dreamy
hi jeffrey, i see my comment was not approved. I dont want you to take things personally, but the fact is its 10th of March and your book is still not available. I can see the concern you have for your asian readers, specially those in the Indian subcontinent. and thats sad.I guess profit out here in these regions may not be big enough and thus may not interest you.. If you dont want to publish this comment dont (though it shows you in poor light as it means you dont accept justified Criticism) do reply to it privately atleast or do try and find out why the book and your previous one as well are not available in India. As a loyal fan seeing your response to me, I am very dissapointed. Does it mean I need to praise you and only then will you publish my comments? :(
Viral - I'm sorry to hear that you can't find a copy of my new book - my publishers have assured me that 'A Prisoner of Birth' is available in India. However, I am sending them a copy of your email, in the hope that they can shed some light on the situation. I can assure you that India is very important to me as a market, and indeed I am much looking forward to my book tour there in May.
anonymous - You make a very valid point which I've taken on board. However, 'The One Show' being the kind of magazine show it is, they moved on to Natterjack toads very quickly!
Got me book yesterday from WH Smith in Liverpool!! Could only manage half of it yesterday but it's fantastic!
Thanks for the quick response Jeffrey.Please do ask your publishers how they make such claims, No leading bookstore in Mumbai has this book. I even called up Delhi (Shows what a big fan i am of yours) and there the book is not available as well. Please look into it urgently as i fear unlike your previous book which never reached our shores, This one may have the same fate.
thanks and looking forward for a copy soon...
Post a Comment
<< Home