One of the responsibilities The National Theatre has is to experiment, and to try things that no other theatre would dare to do. The best example in the last year is War Horse, which rightly received universal critical acclaim and full houses (I've seen it twice). Of course, because of this, you have the occasional play which doesn't quite work, and last night's was a good example.
In The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other, we were made to watch people walk on and off stage without saying a word, for one hour 40 minutes. I have a cafe opposite me in Lambeth where I could sit and do that any time I like, and wouldn't have to pay for the privilege. There is so much good happening at the National Theatre, we will just have to dismiss it as an indulgence. By the way, I understand that War Horse is coming back.
In The Hour We Knew Nothing of Each Other, we were made to watch people walk on and off stage without saying a word, for one hour 40 minutes. I have a cafe opposite me in Lambeth where I could sit and do that any time I like, and wouldn't have to pay for the privilege. There is so much good happening at the National Theatre, we will just have to dismiss it as an indulgence. By the way, I understand that War Horse is coming back.



4 Comments:
Most ordinary people have limited funds to spend on the Arts. When you end up spending money on something like this it is very upsetting to people with little money.
I have no problem with experimention, but please do not charge us for it.
What about at the end of the performance paying what you think it was worth.
Now that would be interesting.
I daresay you could have left the theatre sooner than that - perhaps when the actors were off the stage, so as not to cause unnecessary embarrassment.
Really Jeffrey, going to the theatre as often as you do is asking for trouble. TV's much better really, and you can change channels.
That sounds horrifically dreadful; these days, people are ashamed to admit what really moves and interests them.
Some years ago, I attended an informal lecture about the composer Wagner, and after a lengthy drone about "shallow students learning to enrich their souls", the popinjay put on the overture of the Ring Cycle on an ancient record player............after 3 full interminable minutes, it became clear that IT WAS PLAYING AT THE WRONG SPEED.............
Post a Comment
<< Home