Header
Header
Header
 


21 February 2008

Looking at La Loge

Yesterday evening I went to the opening of the Courtauld exhibition, Renoir at the Theatre, Looking at La Loge (The Theatre Box). In 1874, Renoir was the first Impressionist to take a real interest in painting Parisians in their theatre boxes. It's a small exhibition with only a dozen paintings and a dozen drawings and sketches, but includes a Degas (not very good) and two wonderful oils by Mary Cassatt. If you live or work near the Courtauld, the show could easily be enjoyed in a lunch hour, but if you've never visited the gallery before, then do take time to return because otherwise you would be missing a magnificent collection of paintings and sculptures housed on three floors.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shall be popping in - thanks for the 'heads up'!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Nige said...

I've been in two minds about whether to go to this exhibition or not. I'm no great fan of Renoir, but I was hoping the Degas would be worth seeing -and now you say it's 'not very good'. I'm wondering if you could perhaps expand on that...?

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home